Question Blue Steel Faber FX Series HP 100 vs XS Scuba Faber HP 100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIHappyDiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking to buy a couple of Faber HP 100s and am coming up against these 2 choices. What’s the difference between them, if any, besides after manufacturers name brand. I’ve been on the look out for used in my area for the past 2 years and have had no luck, so I’m looking at new. Please, someone, prove me wrong and give me a link to some in New England, 😝.

While I’m at it, is it worth buying HDG over triple dip given that I‘m doing around 10 dives locally per year, 20 if my wife really does start diving locally, and not just vacations? After each dive, my tanks soak in a tub of warm fresh water, and are then dried thoroughly.

Let the games begin!

Erik

Looking to buy a couple of Faber HP 100s and am coming up against these 2 choices. What’s the difference between them, if any, besides after manufacturers name brand. I’ve been on the look out for used in my area for the past 2 years and have had no luck, so I’m looking at new. Please, someone, prove me wrong and give me a link to some in New England, 😝.

While I’m at it, is it worth buying HDG over triple dip given that I‘m doing around 10 dives locally per year, 20 if my wife really does start diving locally, and not just vacations? After each dive, my tanks soak in a tub of warm fresh water, and are then dried thoroughly.

Let the games begin!

Erik

Even with little use the painted Fabers will eventually get scratches and nicks and start to rust, especially in salt water. That just doesn't happen with HDG.

Even with little use the painted Fabers will eventually get scratches and nicks and start to rust, especially in salt water. That just doesn't happen with HDG.
I see your point but, at the same time, I’ve been diving used painted Faber LP 85s for 6 years, ‘06 born date, and there still is descent shape. This is why I’m questioning if it’s worth the money for HDG.

I see your point but, at the same time, I’ve been diving used painted Faber LP 85s for 6 years, ‘06 born date, and there still is descent shape. This is why I’m questioning if it’s worth the money for HDG.

I get it. Completely a personal decision. Just laying out one thing to keep in mind.

I dive freshwater only with my tanks, and given a choice, I'd never own a painted steel....

I have some, and they are liked a whole bunch less than my galvanized tanks.

I have inspected and hydro'ed hundreds of painted Faber tanks and while a good few are beat up I have yet to see one that even came close to being questionable in terms of "return to service."

Of course, galvanized lasts pretty much forever but the paint job on current Fabers is as good as it gets. I wouldn't have a second thought about buying one if I were in the market today.

IMO XS tanks have a higher quality (Thermo style) valve vs. Blue Steel.

I have inspected and hydro'ed hundreds of painted Faber tanks and while a good few are beat up I have yet to see one that even came close to being questionable in terms of "return to service."

Of course, galvanized lasts pretty much forever but the paint job on current Fabers is as good as it gets. I wouldn't have a second thought about buying one if I were in the market today.

IMO XS tanks have a higher quality (Thermo style) valve vs. Blue Steel.
Thanks for the info on XS v Blue Steel that helps.
Also, appreciate the input on painted v HDG.

Which still isn't that good...
And it isn't that bad either. To repeat myself, I have yet to see any deterioration that materially affects the integrity of the tank even in cases where tanks have taken a bit of a beating.

Back
Top Bottom