Replacing vs Rebuilding Tank Valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In Florida, having a snare on the boat WITH lobsters is an illegal hunting device. The difference in FLA is a looper has a 4 inch long wire cover that prevents it from closing almost fully. A SNARE has no protective wire cover and can close fully and injure a lobster. The regulations are to prevent injury to a short or egg bearing lobster tail that a looper can otherwise release without injury. I've seen a few hunters who cut off the plastic cover and when stopped by law enforcement are ticketed along with a court appearance required for an illegal hunting device. Here is a picture to illustrate better.

View attachment 786070

Is there any reason for the hunter to use the snare instead of the looper at all?

Is there any reason for the hunter to use the snare instead of the looper at all?
Equipment Cost...........
As mentioned above, a green looper's regular price is $50. But we've all seen examples of home-made dive gear for just a $1 or 2 and in many cases it works as good or better. People have built there own loopers but the green looper has a patent on it (although some patent disputes)

In the case of the actual task performance of lobster snare vs a lobster looper there is no difference in my opinion. They both catch lobsters.

Fin straps are every year, needed or not. Since I'm a harvester, April is my slowest month since everything is no-take. All equipment changes, updates, repairs, etc are done then. I don't usually dive in April

Lobster loopers(@$50 each!!} are a different reason. The loop itself is made out of "7-1' SS cable. That's 7 strands of thinner wire spiral wrapped around 1 thicker STIFF inner core wire. That inner core wire breaks from repeated catchings and then the loop will no longer hold it's "crucial curved" shape. Yes, the looper still works, but it can take double or triple the amount of time to work the lobster out of the hole. I can't spend 3 minutes on a bug, it needs to be 30 seconds and off to search for the next hole. People who dive with me know I catch ALOT of bugs >>>>But I total suck at U/W photography, I just can't take a good picture. That's why I admire your's and others U/W pictures.
You're able to catch lobsters that quickly? That's nuts. I'd love to see your technique some time. I struggle with the snare (I mean looper, now that I know the difference). It takes me forever to get them lined up so I can get the dang thing around the tail. It's so much easier with a tickle stick, but I hate and keep losing nets. I do want to try what Dumpster was doing in a video someone posted, zip tie the netting tight.

BTW: I'm happy you enjoy my pics, thanks for the compliment!

Does anyone know the reason why you're allowed to use tools, tickle sticks, snares to catch lobster down there and here up north you can't?

(Honest question)

Does anyone know the reason why you're allowed to use tools, tickle sticks, snares to catch lobster down there and here up north you can't?

(Honest question)
Honest answer....

Politics....more specifically "fishing politics"
Tools for catching lobsters (diving, not traps) in the "old days' were hand grabs, stick&nets, & bleach bottles {ugly but true}. For lobsters it has been trappers (90% of capture) and divers (10% of capture). Finger pointing has gone back and forth on which "tools" are allowed including many different traps or 'un-attended/soaking' devices that also catch fish. It's a very complex issue but current rules have been stable in FLA for about 3-4 decades. In Maine, Non-residents can't dive for lobsters, but in FLA everyone can dive for them. Politics.

The 2nd part of your question is location- Florida vs Northern states. The answer to that is simply the gulf stream and different species. Technically we don't have lobsters in florida, we have 'Crawfish". Maine has lobsters. The gulf stream bring all the baby lobsters into florida and they are called Recruits. 98% of our lobsters are born outside of florida and arrive via the central america gulf stream. You could theoretically remove all the Florida lobsters from the water and it would begin repopulating immediately with recruits from central america riding the gulf stream up. It's almost impossible to 100% make them extinct. This is not the same as Maine lobsters that are only located in those northern states.

Now someone is going to say 'what about california ??'. I don't have an answer.

Honest answer....

Politics....more specifically "fishing politics"
Tools for catching lobsters (diving, not traps) in the "old days' were hand grabs, stick&nets, & bleach bottles {ugly but true}. For lobsters it has been trappers (90% of capture) and divers (10% of capture). Finger pointing has gone back and forth on which "tools" are allowed including many different traps or 'un-attended/soaking' devices that also catch fish. It's a very complex issue but current rules have been stable in FLA for about 3-4 decades. In Maine, Non-residents can't dive for lobsters, but in FLA everyone can dive for them. Politics.

The 2nd part of your question is location- Florida vs Northern states. The answer to that is simply the gulf stream and different species. Technically we don't have lobsters in florida, we have 'Crawfish". Maine has lobsters. The gulf stream bring all the baby lobsters into florida and they are called Recruits. 98% of our lobsters are born outside of florida and arrive via the central america gulf stream. You could theoretically remove all the Florida lobsters from the water and it would begin repopulating immediately with recruits from central america riding the gulf stream up. It's almost impossible to 100% make them extinct. This is not the same as Maine lobsters that are only located in those northern states.

Now someone is going to say 'what about california ??'. I don't have an answer.

Holy crap... standing applause. Way more infor then I ever thought to get!

Well you did ask "the man" when it comes to Florida "lobster". :wink: He often cooks up super yummy lobster treats for the SI to share as well.
One day I'll find out I hope!

I'm not opposed to FL lobster, but I don't think they're as tasty as northern lobster. Maybe I haven't had them made correctly?

It does look addictive catching them though.. I know it is catching northern lobster, but the FL ones look so much more plentiful. At least in NJ the most I've ever caught is 3 on one trip. Most ofthe time just 1 or 2 (but I'm also not as seasoned as some divers when it comes to that).

One day I'll find out I hope!

I'm not opposed to FL lobster, but I don't think they're as tasty as northern lobster. Maybe I haven't had them made correctly?

It does look addictive catching them though.. I know it is catching northern lobster, but the FL ones look so much more plentiful. At least in NJ the most I've ever caught is 3 on one trip. Most ofthe time just 1 or 2 (but I'm also not as seasoned as some divers when it comes to that).

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of either. They each (FL vs. Maine Lobster) have a slightly different taste. I prefer fish or scallops or crab or even shrimp over lobster.

Back
Top Bottom