Question Blue Steel Faber FX Series HP 100 vs XS Scuba Faber HP 100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, I see that the XS Scuba tanks have the XS branding in the tank stamp where the hydro info is stamped. Does the blu steel version have that as well, or something else?
No. The Blue Steels say ‘FABER MADE IN ITALY’. No reference to Blue Steel or XS Scuba.

What makes the HP Steel 80 awful? I understand that it changes your trim being a diff physical size, but is it that hard to adjust it's location on your back? I'm considering one for the weight advantage in cold water dry suit diving. Thanks!

What makes the HP Steel 80 awful? I understand that it changes your trim being a diff physical size, but is it that hard to adjust it's location on your back? I'm considering one for the weight advantage in cold water dry suit diving. Thanks!
Unless you’re 5’2” or less go with the HP100. You’ll thank us all later.

The 80 vs 100 is a simple choice. The 100 costs a few dollars more but gives you 25% more air and trims out on your back far better. It doesn't cost any more to fill a 100 vs an 80 at most shops. If you're diving anywhere that a dry suit is normal then your buddies are likely to also have 100s. 80s belong with the ladies who barely breathe and anyone that is of a very tiny stature.

The 80 vs 100 is a simple choice. The 100 costs a few dollars more but gives you 25% more air and trims out on your back far better. It doesn't cost any more to fill a 100 vs an 80 at most shops. If you're diving anywhere that a dry suit is normal then your buddies are likely to also have 100s. 80s belong with the ladies who barely breathe and anyone that is of a very tiny stature.
Your gas requirement is based on your RMV, not on anything else. Perhaps you have participated in the poll

Your gas requirement is based on your RMV, not on anything else. Perhaps you have participated in the poll
Perhaps you've been able to observe that females on average use far less gas than their male counterparts. There are exceptions, but that is mostly true. You, myself, and a few others that dive OFTEN will have lower rmv but it doesn't mean that we're the rule.

Perhaps you've been able to observe that females on average use far less gas than their male counterparts. There are exceptions, but that is mostly true. You, myself, and a few others that dive OFTEN will have lower rmv but it doesn't mean that we're the rule.
I have an average RMV of 0.36 cu ft/min, my petite wife has an average RMV of 0.47 cu ft/min. I have 2350 dives, she has only 450.

I have an average RMV of 0.36 cu ft/min, my petite wife has an average RMV of 0.47 cu ft/min. I have 2350 dives, she has only 450.
Thank you for proving my point. You are the exception. Your wife is unusually high. Good job on reducing your use and trying to conflate that with the average diver.

There are pros and cons with all things. I love my HP 80's (PST, 3,500 psig Sherwood Genesis cylinders) for certain types of diving. I purchased my pair new in 1988, not long after they first became available. I special-ordered mine, the first sold in this area (central MO) so far as I'm aware. I dove/dive mine as singles with my 1987-era Scubapro Stab Jacket and the 1994-era SSJ that replaced it. This configuration works best (for me) with a two-piece (farmer John), medium thickness wetsuit when diving MO and AR freshwater lakes (55 degree F water temps at depth). And I did dive this configuration briefly, for northern OH and early Great Lakes recreational drysuit diving before I purchased HP 100's.

The HP 80 is a bit too negatively buoyant (for me) when diving a thin (3mm) wetsuit in fresh water. And, being such a short (~20") cylinder, it makes reaching back to the cylinder valve a bit challenging--but my SSJ mounts a cylinder quite low, so the HP 80 fits perfectly for use with a SSJ.

Plenty of gas (82 cu ft @ 3,500 psig) for a recreational dive. And small enough to carry a pair easily in a Fiat Sypder 2000 (which I was driving when I purchased them) and in a 1993 RX-7, too.

Not suitable (for me), though, to dive with my BP/W or SS Freedom Plate configurations. I prefer a taller cylinder (~25") for this.

I am 6'2".

Note: I did find that my HP 100's (PST, 102 cu ft @ 3,500 psig Sherwood Genesis cylinders, 24# length, 7.25" O.D.) are a better cylinder (for me) as singles when doing recreational drysuit diving in the Great Lakes.

rx7diver

Thank you for proving my point. You are the exception. Your wife is unusually high. Good job on reducing your use and trying to conflate that with the average diver.
I have had essentially the same RMV since I first started measuring it in 2010 at just under 450 dives. I had very good gas consumption during my first scuba period from 1970-1980. I have wondered if my gas consumption, in part, is dictated by being a competitive swimmer from age 4 on. I am not svelte, 5'10", 185 lbs.

My wife did not even learn to swim until she was in high school. She was not a natural diver and had several fears to overcome. She also has some reactive airways disease. Her gas consumption has improved significantly over the years to the point it is now pretty average. We just got back from Bonaire and our dives were all generally over an hour.

I have regretted not separating my gas consumption poll by gender, way too late now.

Back
Top Bottom