PST HP 100 vs Faber HP 100...have a preference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjgiddings

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've got the chance to buy a pair of Faber HP100 3442 psi cylinders in about two weeks - when they are back from hydro. The set are from the same lot - literally about 6 cylinders apart from each other during production. I've never dove on Faber HP100's before, but I've ben diving Faber LP95 for many years. $ 700 plus tax

I also have the chance of buying PST 100 HP 3500 cylinders as well. Both just recently passed hydro, VIP to be completed the day of sale. These are not from the same lot from what I can tell. $550 and no tax.

Both of these are able to be set up for doubles - if I choose to ever go that route.

Just looking at the $ I'd go with the PST cylinders.

Question to the group is - do you have a preferred cylinder you'd choose and why ?

Best,

Jim

Don't know if it makes a difference to you or not but I just ordered and received a Faber HP 100 for $359 +tax, free shipping. It dosen't have the doubles valve though. Price seems high for used, to me anyway.

I have all PST 3500 HP 100s and 120s.

I bought some of the Fabers new when I found a good deal, but flipped them (unused) for consistency, and because I wasn't thrilled by the vulnerability of the paint compared to the Hot-Dipped Galvanization of the PSTs (some of the PSTs have paint OVER HDG)

The thing with the 3500psi high-pressure tanks, regardless of manufacturer, is that they use a smaller outlet in the neck with 7/8"-14 UNF threads. Valves for this are only (well 99.999%) made with 300 bar outlets and can't be converted for yoke or used with 200 bar DIN regs. Currently, new valves for them are only available from Thermo and come with some placarded limitations and new manifolds versions were at least listed as available recently, but I didn't try to buy one. (Good info here: XS Valve, 300 Bar DIN outlet, 7/8 UNF inlet threads)

Used valves are around, but manifolds are spotty.

If the set comes with manifolds, the PSTs would be my preferred ones at that price.

I agree about the paint. I got the Hot Dip Galvanized. Only way to go.

JD's post is a good summary of the pros and cons. I have painted Fabers and while the paint does wear it is not enough of an issue for me. 7/8 manifolds can be problematic to find. The other spec to look at if you think you might double then up is their dry weight and buoyancy. Finally the price on the Fabers is high. Probably trying to recoup the cost of the re-qual and visual.

I just want to add, if the Fabers are the HDG versions & with manifolds - around but rarer - that would change the balance a bit since you would be using "standard" valves, so readily replaceable.

Hot Dip Galvanized is my preferred but I don't like the smaller neck either.

They are both good tanks, though trim and weighting is different bewteen them. The 3500s will be heavier and more even keeled for weighting. The fabers will be a few pounds lighter and less tail heavy. The one you pick matters little, but switching back and forth is somewhat annoying.

I have all PST 3500 HP 100s and 120s.

I bought some of the Fabers new when I found a good deal, but flipped them (unused) for consistency, and because I wasn't thrilled by the vulnerability of the paint compared to the Hot-Dipped Galvanization of the PSTs (some of the PSTs have paint OVER HDG)

The thing with the 3500psi high-pressure tanks, regardless of manufacturer, is that they use a smaller outlet in the neck with 7/8"-14 UNF threads. Valves for this are only (well 99.999%) made with 300 bar outlets and can't be converted for yoke or used with 200 bar DIN regs. Currently, new valves for them are only available from Thermo and come with some placarded limitations and new manifolds versions were at least listed as available recently, but I didn't try to buy one. (Good info here: XS Valve, 300 Bar DIN outlet, 7/8 UNF inlet threads)

Used valves are around, but manifolds are spotty.

If the set comes with manifolds, the PSTs would be my preferred ones at that price.
The current painted Fabers have been in the marketplace for about 8 years and i have seen some very abused tanks. They scratch up and look pretty bad but i have yet to see one that has ANY serious rust issues. Certainly nothing compared to some of the painted steels from 20 years ago.

Hot dipped is a more durable finish no question but i wouldn't worry about the longevity of the current painted tanks.

They are both good tanks, though trim and weighting is different bewteen them. The 3500s will be heavier and more even keeled for weighting. The fabers will be a few pounds lighter and less tail heavy. The one you pick matters little, but switching back and forth is somewhat annoying.

FWIW, the info table that I have shows little (gross) difference between the HP FX Fabers and HP 3442/3500 PSTs.

I don't have specs, but I've heard that the spun Asahi also sold under the Sherwood/Genesis brand (after PST, I believe) are significantly heavier.

1650296039371.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom