Question Picked up a pair of Faber LP95s, do I need to tweak my weighting for buoyancy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jellycatsdad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I picked up a pair of Faber LP95s over the past weekend, LDS has them for hydro/VIP and O2 cleaning since I do want the ability to switch back and forth between “regular” air and nitrox(when I get certified and do deeper dives).

From what I’ve read, the LP95s are heavier(37lbs empty and 8” in diameter) and wider than the Faber HP100/80s(33/28lbs and 7.25” in diameter) I usually dive with. The empty buoyancy of the LP95 is -1.2lb, vs -2 for the HP80/100s. I’ve recently gotten my weighting down to 18lbs in my current configuration(7mm wetsuit, 7/5mm hooded vest, saltwater). When I do get the LP95s back, do I need to change my weighting to 14lbs to accommodate for the heavier tank or keep it as-is and do a test dive in the pool and see how I trim and descend?

It's best to do a weight check whenever you change your gear.

rx7diver
I’ll do that as well. Right now, I’ve mostly resolved my weighting drama and buoyancy/air use has improved. Got a good deal on these tanks, they need a little TLC(new valves and a tumble along with a visual/hydro).

I absolutely would adjust weight. Critically though, your empty buoyancies are off: single Faber HP80 = -1.7 lb, HP100 = -0.6 lb, LP95 = +1.7 lb.

For double LP95s, you would need MORE lead, all else being equal. About 7 lbs more than with HP80s and 5 lbs more than HP100s.

I think that spec on the LP95 omits the valve.
I checked several other places which agree with the +1.7 lb. (TBH, I've not found the Huron list to be very accurate.)

I absolutely would adjust weight. Critically though, your empty buoyancies are off: single Faber HP80 = -1.7 lb, HP100 = -0.6 lb, LP95 = +1.7 lb.

For double LP95s, you would need MORE lead, all else being equal. About 7 lbs more than with HP80s and 5 lbs more than HP100s.
I’m diving single tank - not planning on doubles in either back mount or side mount anytime soon. I know for aluminum 80s, I needed 26lbs of lead just to be neutral.
I was going off that list as well and saw conflicting info - Faber says LP95s are positive but notes no valve. The current valves will be replaced with new Thermo pro valves to allow switching between DIN and yoke. Who do I believe?

The Huron list is from 2010. I know for a fact the incredibly common Luxfer S80 buoyancy and diameter is wrong. To know for sure, measure the buoyancies of your tanks with a luggage scale and a trash can, hot tub, or pool. (Air weighs 12.4 lb per cf, so no need to empty them. Adjust for saltwater by adding 2.4% of the dry weight to the freshwater measurement.)

Or just add 3 lbs of lead and refine at the end of an actual dive.

The Huron list is from 2010. I know for a fact the incredibly common Luxfer S80 buoyancy and diameter is wrong. To know for sure, measure the buoyancies of your tanks with a luggage scale and a trash can, hot tub, or pool. (Air weighs 12.4 lb per cf, so no need to empty them. Adjust for saltwater by adding 2.4% of the dry weight to the freshwater measurement.)

Or just add 3 lbs of lead and refine at the end of an actual dive.
Well, I dive 17-18lbs now with HP100s. I’ll jump into a pool and see if I need to make any changes - or I can wait for my next ocean dive and see if I can get the boat to hand me extra weights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom