Question Blue Steel Faber FX Series HP 100 vs XS Scuba Faber HP 100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why do you swap out the valves? Have you had issues in the past?

Valves don't last forever and need to either be rebuilt or replaced. Logic says just have them rebuilt at hydro, which is a strong recommendation of most knowledgeable folks. Every 5 years is a good rule of thumb. However, when I looked at the economics of the cost of a valve rebuild (parts and labor) vs. a new valve (when you shop in advance and buy them when they are a good price), the cost comes out to be about the same. I therefore typically choose to go with a brand new valve at hydro.

Parts kits for XS valves are much easier to find than those for the Blue Steel valves in my experience.

I clean valves every VIP but I don't replace them unless they are damaged. If they need a rebuild, it's a 5-minute job as long as I have a kit.

I should mention that you also want to replace the burst assembly every 5 years as well.

Parts kits for XS valves are much easier to find than those for the Blue Steel valves in my experience.

I clean valves every VIP but I don't replace them unless they are damaged. If they need a rebuild, it's a 5-minute job as long as I have a kit.

Yup, one perfectly fine way to go. I don’t feel like doing that for each of my 10 tanks. Call me lazy. :wink: I just have other things I’d rather spend my time on. I just take good care of them for 5 years and then replace them at hydro with a brand new valve. I just budget a new valve into the funds I set aside for hydro every 5 years.

I have more questions, as I always do, but we're hijacking the thread, so I'll create a new one.

I have more questions, as I always do, but we're hijacking the thread, so I'll create a new one.
Hijack away! It’s my thread, my questions have been answered, and I’m always up for being educated.

Erik

Hijack away! It’s my thread, my questions have been answered, and I’m always up for being educated.

Erik

Good side discussion on valve rebuild vs replace at hydro.

The Blue Steel valves that come on the Scuba.com Fabers are convertible Pro valves. They have the removable insert and can be used with DIN regs. It is true that they are not as nice as the Pro valve that comes on the XS Scuba version, but they do work just fine.
Ive been searching to find out the differences between the two valves. Im in the market for galvanized 100s and cant find squat, and its holding me up in picking one, any input? "Tanks"!

Ive been searching to find out the differences between the two valves. Im in the market for galvanized 100s and cant find squat, and its holding me up in picking one, any input? "Tanks"!
Blue Steel valves are perfectly fine functionally, I just prefer the finish of the other valves (XS Scuba, Thermo, DGX) plus the gap between the knob and the valve stem is larger on the others vs the blue steel. That gap is really short on the Blue Steels and when you carry them with one hand, they pinch the index finger. But functionally, they are perfectly fine. I have and will continue to use them when they are the best value I can find.

Blue Steel valves are perfectly fine functionally, I just prefer the finish of the other valves (XS Scuba, Thermo, DGX) plus the gap between the knob and the valve stem is larger on the others vs the blue steel. That gap is really short on the Blue Steels and when you carry them with one hand, they pinch the index finger. But functionally, they are perfectly fine. I have and will continue to use them when they are the best value I can find.
Thanks, I see that the XS Scuba tanks have the XS branding in the tank stamp where the hydro info is stamped. Does the blu steel version have that as well, or something else?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom