Worthington HP 100s failed first hydro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joeabroad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Kind of a shock today--my two Worthington HP 100s, purchased new in the fall of 2005, failed their first hydro. Both of them. This is inconceivable to me.

The tanks do not have a lot of dives on them--maybe 70 each. Well cared for, never overfilled. The LDS where I purchased them is no longer in business but my new very good LDS is trying to work with the manufacturer--who will hopefully do the right thing and stand behind its product.

Has anyone heard of this happening with these tanks? Were possibly some lemons cranked out in 2005?

I would first make sure the test facility did the testing correctly.

Don't let them condemn those cylinders, there is minimal chance that they failed the hydro.

Time for either a retest at that facility or one at a new facility.

I would take to the most respected technical diving shop in your region as they will surely know of a reliable testing facility...

It's a hydrostatic test, you don't need a dive shop, technical or otherwise. What you do need is a US DOT Cylinder Requalification Facility that simply knows what they are doing. Obviously the ones who did the first test did not.

Last edited:
I agree and disagree some of the posts.

1. Go to back to the shop and ask for the test reports. Further, ask for the calibration test that IIRC should have been done that day. This information might given an indication of whether the test was done correctly or not.

2. If in doubt seek out another hydro facility to also preform the test. If the cylinders both pass then you may have a claim against the first.

3. If both fail the second test then well WTHK (who-the-hel-knows). At that point I would contact the folks at XS Scuba as they are the distributors for Worthington.

Good luck -

I would take to the most respected technical diving shop in your region as they will surely know of a reliable testing facility...

Why do you think it should go to a "technical" dive shop vs. a "recreational" dive shop. None of the dive centers in my area perform hydros in-house, they're sent out.

Why do you think it should go to a "technical" dive shop vs. a "recreational" dive shop. None of the dive centers in my area perform hydros in-house, they're sent out.

They would by definition be more informed then the average LDS but I realize I am generalizing. On the other hand, go into the average small LDS and start talking about PST cylinder pre-streching protocols and they will simply shrug their shoulders.

I would tell of your problem in your regional forums as well in order to solicit recomendations...It's true dive shops do not perform testing in-house but they are sending them somewhere familiar with scuba cylinders one would assume...

Use Oxyhacker's method.....

oxyhacker.gif

DC

Back
Top Bottom