Local dive shop tanks out of vis AND hydro. Is this common?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It isn’t $25, it’s really about $15 since it always includes a fill. The shop does have to drain the tank, open it and inspect it. That does taKe time. Scuba isn’t a cheap sport, this is just part of it. Most people who own their own tanks dive multiple times a year. If you get 15 fills in a year, that is only $1 a fill.
If you aren’t getting that many fills a year, it probably isn’t worth owning your own tanks.
It is $25 where I am.

Time? Even if the customer doesn't bring tanks empty, what does it take for the employee to start draining it? 30 seconds?

Removing the valve? 30 seconds?

Using the light? Another 30 seconds?

So less than 5 minutes work?

Are you serious that this actually takes mich time?

For what they do, it is a ripoff. Doesn't matter how many fills are done.

It is $25 where I am.

Time? Even if the customer doesn't bring tanks empty, what does it take for the employee to start draining it? 30 seconds?

Removing the valve? 30 seconds?

Using the light? Another 30 seconds?

So less than 5 minutes work?

Are you serious that this actually takes mich time?

For what they do, it is a ripoff. Doesn't matter how many fills are done.
You're paying for a service, not time. But if you did pay for time, it takes me about 15-20 minutes to do one of my own bottles, if no difficulties are found or other work done. I am probably more meticulous with my bottles than a lot of shops.

You are paying for training, experience, understanding, knowledge: expertise. Equipment. Facilities. Judgment.

If all they are doing is pulling a valve, sticking a light inside, and reassembling, that's just part of the mechanical tasks. They are not doing a real inspection. But that's kinda like reducing a pilot to pushing a start button, pushing a few levers, moving the stick and rudder pedals.

Scratch that. I'm not even gonna respond.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom