Local dive shop tanks out of vis AND hydro. Is this common?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can buy a new damn tank for that much. Wtf would you pay $350 for something that on average only cost $80 with the vip and fill?
People are really getting $80 for a hydro, vis, and fill?
I need to raise my prices.

Charging, but maybe not getting. A nearby LDS wanted $100 for hydro, viz, and a fill. I chose to load up my tank farm into the Honda and haul the lot about two hours across ATL to the fire-extinguisher facility; they do hydro for $15 AL/$18 steel.

I also expect that every single diver in the area did the same damn thing, seeing as the dive shop has since sold their testing gear, likely at a massive loss.

$50-65 here bouts at the local scuba stores.

$20 if not too lazy to go directly to the shop where all the scuba shops take them for hydro.

But for a lot of folks, the LDS is a lot closer, and they can drop/pickup on weekends at the LDS. And the LDS will add a VIP inspection and fill. I figure $20 for hydro, $20 for VIP & fill, and $20 for the trouble of hauling the tank to/from the hydro shop (two trips, depending on the shop, that can be 5 or 50 miles one way).

$70 for hydro/vip/fill per tank through the LDS....

It almost always includes extra work by the LDS as the hydro shop never dries the tank properly...

....or you'll Arock them on Scubabord.
35914738-1C6D-4F54-961B-BA2FEE78FE18.jpeg

$70 for hydro/vip/fill per tank through the LDS....

It almost always includes extra work by the LDS as the hydro shop never dries the tank properly...
I understand that a "visual inspection" is supposed to be part of the hydro test, but I also find I do a much more through/complete visual inspection. I've never seen the hydro shop remove stickers, paint blisters, or even tank boots when they do a hydro (just bought one from the shop that sat unclaimed for two years - dried mud was caked between the tank boot and the tank). You can't visually inspect the exterior of the tank very well with those obstructions.

Then again, here in Sweden we have zero requirements for visual inspections and it's just the 5 year hydro.
Look over at Finland and it's the same except they've got 10 year on their hydro tests instead.
Or in Norway hydro every 2 years at $70...

I've never seen the hydro shop remove stickers, paint blisters, or even tank boots when they do a hydro (just bought one from the shop that sat unclaimed for two years - dried mud was caked between the tank boot and the tank). You can't visually inspect the exterior of the tank very well with those obstructions.

Are you talking about the Hydro place or LDS that doesn't remove the stickers, etc.?

I understand that a "visual inspection" is supposed to be part of the hydro test, but I also find I do a much more through/complete visual inspection. I've never seen the hydro shop remove stickers, paint blisters, or even tank boots when they do a hydro (just bought one from the shop that sat unclaimed for two years - dried mud was caked between the tank boot and the tank). You can't visually inspect the exterior of the tank very well with those obstructions.
yeah, the shop that rejected my cylinders discussed over here: Rust (streaks?) in steel tanks just look inside briefly with the white light. They don't even use the blue light. I have everything as I was certified but I let it lapse.

So when people see they are being charged for a tenth (that's being generous as it is much less than a half) of an arse inspection, they get annoyed as they are getting swindled.

I need to renew my cylinder inspection certification.

yeah, the shop that rejected my cylinders discussed over here: Rust (streaks?) in steel tanks just look inside briefly with the white light. They don't even use the blue light. I have everything as I was certified but I let it lapse.

So when people see they are being charged for a tenth (that's being generous as it is much less than a half) of an arse inspection, they get annoyed as they are getting swindled.

I need to renew my cylinder inspection certification.
Most don't use a uv light. It is largely a pointless step at this point.
There aren't many breathing air compressors in the dive world running conventional oil. Most everybody has switched to synthetic at this point. I haven't found any synthetic blends that glow on the UV spectrum.

Even if they did, an oil sprayed tank doesn't really require a special light to see. It is immediately apparent when you have staining in a clean tank, whether it be oil or water.

Back
Top Bottom