DIR- Generic Why use GUE nitrox only

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnydive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I went to get my tank fill at Gue store and I ask for air and I got schooled for using air… but no real reason why Gue only use nitrox? Can someone educate me properly?
Thanks!

Since GUE adheres to a maximum END (equivalent narcotic depth) of 30m, there's no benefit to using air, and only drawbacks. Here in Norway we pay the same for an air fill and a Nitrox fill, so there isn't even an economic excuse. I understand that is different on the other side of the pond. That said, the GUE divers I know will dive air (to 30m) if that is all that is available.

I think the attitude of some (old school?) GUE divers around using air is probably a response to the mainstream agencies demonizing Nitrox as "voodoo gas" back in the day. It seems a little out of place these days.

I think sparragus hit the nail on the head when it comes to the advantages of standard gases, and GUE also use EAN32 to blend other standard gas mixes, so I'm guessing you will find banked 32% in most GUE-centric dive shops.

All of GUE's recreational decompression/safety stops are based on 32% also.

Having a few GUE certifications, I will admit I do use evil air on occasion....I have 2 alum 80 dedicated to air (marked properly) for my beach diving, max, max depth is about 35', average being 20', so there is absolutely no benefit to EAN mixes, IMHO......but keep this between you and me :)

All of GUE's recreational decompression/safety stops are based on 32% also.

Having a few GUE certifications, I will admit I do use evil air on occasion....I have 2 alum 80 dedicated to air (marked properly) for my beach diving, max, max depth is about 35', average being 20', so the is absolutely no benefit to EAN mixes, IMHO......but keep this between you and me :)
I don't see the benefits of using 32% for a 50ft dive...

Single dive - not too many benefits aside from less fatigue (N2 sat?). Multiple dives - different story

The argument for using 32% for a 50' dive, and it is valid, is that you could get out to the dive site and you end up in 50'-75', and there is a benefit to using 32%.

Why GUE has standard gases, you dont end up doing a dive with a gas that is less than optimal or you cant use.

I know that my beach dives will never be deeper than 35', at its deepest, but when I go out on a dive boat, for a recreational dive, 32% is what I take, it is an adequate gas to 100'. Plus, it is a gas that even at max working depth, the diver's PpO2 is a 1.26.

And some of this comes from years ago when you would see people on dive boats with 40% EAN or other crazy mixes that had PpO2's of 1.6 to 2.

The argument for using 32% for a 50' dive, and it is valid, is that you could get out to the dive site and you end up in 50'-75', and there is a benefit to using 32%.

Why GUE has standard gases, you dont end up doing a dive with a gas that is less than optimal or you cant use.

I know that my beach dives will never be deeper than 35', at its deepest, but when I go out on a dive boat, for a recreational dive, 32% is what I take, it is an adequate gas to 100'. Plus, it is a gas that even at max working depth, the diver's PpO2 is a 1.26.

And some of this comes from years ago when you would see people on dive boats with 40% EAN or other crazy mixes that had PpO2's of 1.6 to 2.
technically with nitrox 32 you can hit 125ft without any issue. Will I prob nope, maybe a lower % o2 will be a better mix IMO

Because 32 is a bigger number than 21?

And mo' is betterer.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom