DIR- GUE Is it worth taking Fundamentals this late in the game?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a little background on myself, I've been diving for 11+ years (originally certified through PADI). About 5 years ago, I went down the non-GUE tech path through TDI and IANTD and did Intro to Tech > AN/DP > Trimix > Intro/Full Cave. When I started down this path, I really had no idea what GUE was outside of a few snide remarks from my instructor.

Regardless, I've done all my training in BM and to this day dive pretty exclusively in BM (outside of a few instances where the cave dictates SM). I'm a very curious person naturally, and so during this period, I talked to quite a few people about DIR, read a lot about DIR (mainly online resources and the Fundamentals of Better Diving by JJ), and was lucky enough to become good friends with someone I would consider a mentor who is a GUE diver and cave diving buddy. So, needless to say, over the years, I've adopted DIR principals and methodology even though I was never "formally" trained in it by a DIR-affiliated agency like GUE.

While that's all and good, the thought of taking GUE training has been growing in my mind recently, even though I feel like I would be going backwards from where I am today. I do really like the organization's training practices and standards (after seeing some less than optimal training through other agencies) and my thought process is, I know I can learn more and continue to hone my skills (which at the end of the day is the most important part to me). I also would love to get involved in GUE projects and/or other affiliated organizations like WKPP (which isn't exclusive to GUE but it obviously has significant overlap).

With all that being said, back to my original question: is it worth taking Fundamentals this late in the game? Has anyone been down a similar path? I know it's an investment of time and money, but the tradeoff could very well be worth it. Would love to hear some thoughts!
worth it for sure

Just checking in here to see how right you all are, and apologize for poking a relatively kind and peaceful beehive of safe and thinking divers with fantastic courses 🙏🏼

Also just topped up ~110 bar of oxygen that I happened to have left over in a lone un-manifolded 'LP'50, and got some really nice 64% (exactly as pre-calculated) that I will be happy to put into a plan that includes it at 15 metres as a bailout. Probably get it to 50% eventually after a few switch drills at closely observed appropriate depths, and another top-up.

After all, a gas switch drill is not mastered or correctly performed until you actually do check the tank MOD and your depth. No shortcuts! Especially with all of that oxygen narcosis.

Don't worry I labeled it properly and will not be offering it to anyone at 20 metres--or disgusting any GUEs will this 'interface'-style approach to decompression requirements. I'll JSON the mix to your planner.

Just keep checking the boxes my man:
1718304068796.png

Big cry sad sad meanie head
This, pretty much this.

It’s been what, 20+ years? So, WGAF anymore. Someone can be an a$$hole and be right/correct; conversely, someone can be the nicest person ever and be exceedingly wrong.

And I dunno what it’s like for everyone else, but oxygen is effectively free - it costs me about $15 USD ($.37cuft) to fill an al40 - ie trivial.

Hot take - can't afford (or obtain) the right tool (gas) to do the dive? Just… Don’t… Do… The… Dive… Then…

Just keep checking the boxes my man:
Is this in the GUE handbook too? The naysayers are 'mad?'

Someone (OP) asks about GUE. Ok...

Are they aware that GUE thinks it knows and invented everything that can ever be considered "safe?"
Are they aware how GUE treats divers and diving practices that it hasn't branded as its own?

Well, here ya go... plain to see.

Is this in the GUE handbook too? The naysayers are 'mad?'

Someone (OP) asks about GUE. Ok...

Are they aware that GUE thinks it knows and invented everything that can ever be considered "safe?"
Are they aware how GUE treats divers and diving practices that it hasn't branded as its own?

Well, here ya go... plain to see.
Go read it and see if you can figure out where it comes from.

At the risk of a second thread diversion, is there any change in consensus about whether or not oxygen is narcotic after the Vrijdag article?

Vrijdag XCE, van Waart H, Sames C, Mitchell SJ, Sleigh JW. Does hyperbaric oxygen cause narcosis or hyperexcitability? A quantitative EEG analysis. Physiological Rep. In press, 2022

My vote is "No".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom