DIR- GUE Is it worth taking Fundamentals this late in the game?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All you really need to know about who is teaching that 80% is useful is that they are not GUE--and therefore by definition they must be awful, dangerous, unqualified maniacs! šŸ˜±
Interesting these highly trained instructors and groups wonā€™t stand behind there ideas.

Interesting these highly trained instructors and groups wonā€™t stand behind there ideas.
I wouldn't do them the disservice of getting drawn into this pointless argument about whether 80% is useful, when it's being used almost daily without any problems, neither real nor theoretical. This was about what the GUE reaction was going to be when faced with this information.

I did troll here, you're right. On a couple points that I thought might expose the darkside...

Sorry guys, maybe that wasn't nice!

I'm not the only troll in the "first rebreather" thread though. God help the poor guy looking for honest advice there and getting everyone's chestbeat instead.

I wouldn't do them the disservice of getting drawn into this pointless argument about whether 80% is useful, when it's being used almost daily without any problems, neither real nor theoretical. This was about what the GUE reaction was going to be when faced with this information.

I did troll here, you're right. On a couple points that I thought might expose the darkside...

Sorry guys, maybe that wasn't nice!

I'm not the only troll in the "first rebreather" thread though. God help the poor guy looking for honest advice there and getting everyone's chestbeat instead.

In the other thread where you are calling ppl ā€œthe gestapoā€ over nothing? Give it a rest

If you think 80% is better than 50% at 30ft, wait till you hear about 75% at 40ft.

And donā€™t get me goin about 70%, 65%, and 60%.

Straight FIRE.

Bro, it's 63%, not 65%.

I'm pretty sure we could find O.G. divers from that era who saw that it was a good deco gas that you could switch to at 9-10 metres, with certain advantages. And that is certainly what we do now.
At least in S FL I saw a decline in 80% on the tech boats as a few shops could boost O2 from the 90's into the mid 2000's

Now we have a bunch of macho guys proudly saying that they just switch to 100% at 9m/30ft instead, because CNS ox tox is a myth. Well if that works for you, then go ahead ... but no agency is teaching that (right?)
In my NAUI course in '75 they did teach O2 being toxic at 30' (PpO2 of 2.0). PpO2 of 2.0 at rest was the standard for years. Heck my Nitrox class in 92 (from Dick Rutkowski ) he were teaching 1.6 for the working part of a dive. Times change and we change with them.

But I can assure you that it is still done all of time, like hundreds of times per year, in shops all around the world. It hasn't really been an issue, and I don't think anyone has exploded.
I really dont think anyone (including GUE) has ever made a claim that 80% was some kind of sin.....but I do remember poodle jackets for the deco tanks. Are they still popular in your area?

I really dont think anyone (including GUE) has ever made a claim that 80% was some kind of sin.....
George Irvine's take on it is pretty famous. Be sure to read #13.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom