DIR- Generic Any GUE instructor teaching Fundamentals in sidemount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I'll team up with you if you're in a different configuration is pretty situational. Are you diver 3 on a 2 person team and we're doing something resembling a casual cave dive sure come along. We're not counting on you for anything at that point.

If it's just me and one other person I want our configurations to match if it's not a recreational dive. If it's a dive that is at the limit of my comfort zone then I want everyones configuration to match.

I assume you’re talking about project dives. Being able to contribute to those projects is definitely a compelling reason to go GUE.
Local GUE groups organize dives for their members and part of that is the members using GUE configuration.
That's my perspective looking in.

I find it fascinating that my experiences are false ; tell me more.
Your experiences are not false, you comment is just not universally true. I have also dived with other GUE divers in sidemount recreationally.

Local GUE groups organize dives for their members and part of that is the members using GUE configuration.

We have lots of dives where everyone can run what they brung but hopefully are receptive to hearing why we dive in the configuration we choose. Jacket BCD and retractors on your SPG console are fine for these dives. These are strictly recreational OW dives. Maybe that’s just here in the Midwest where we are community building, but if you want, there’s a charter going out of Milwaukee on Sunday you can go on in any configuration you want.

That makes sense. In those cases it's logical to restrict divers to GUE trained divers with compatible gear. In other dives, it really does not matter if you're GUE trained or not.

A GUE club dive, or a GUE project dive.

Somebody mentioned "official GUE" dive so I wanted a clarification on that. I imagine that a "project Dive" by GUE will be regulated and restricted to GUE people.

If I'll team up with you if you're in a different configuration is pretty situational. Are you diver 3 on a 2 person team and we're doing something resembling a casual cave dive sure come along. We're not counting on you for anything at that point.

If it's just me and one other person I want our configurations to match if it's not a recreational dive. If it's a dive that is at the limit of my comfort zone then I want everyones configuration to match.
Same for me. I'm a newer cave diver, and I'm not at a point where I'm comfortable doing cave dives with non-GUE teammates/buddies. Maybe someday. But a benign reef dive--sure, no problem, so long as I am familiar with the other divers and believe they are safe divers.

We have lots of dives where everyone can run what they brung but hopefully are receptive to hearing why we dive in the configuration we choose. Jacket BCD and retractors on your SPG console are fine for these dives. These are strictly recreational OW dives. Maybe that’s just here in the Midwest where we are community building, but if you want, there’s a charter going out of Milwaukee on Sunday you can go on in any configuration you want.

Locally they run dives like that every week here. I was going to them in a completely recreational rig, I regularly attend them in sidemount now if I don't feel like dragging my BM doubles around.
They aren't GUE dives though but more an open house. Actual GUE dives are different, I don't attend those since I haven't done Fundies and I'm unsure I will. It's just not a priority since the GUE tech progression doesn't interest me.

So why not take the course in back mout?

Yes back mount isn't perfectly suited to all environments just the same way side mount isn't.
You should be choosing the correct configuration for the conditions.

Boat diving back mout

Tight cave diving or remote long trek to the dive site side mout if hard to beat

Don't dive sidemout because you think it's better of you want to be different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom