DIR- Generic Why use GUE nitrox only

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might be thinking of this article. Some U-2 pilots have experienced severe DCS including type-2 neurological symptoms. It's worth reading for divers to help recognize if they experience similar symptoms. The Air Force has modified some equipment and procedures to reduce the risk but I don't know whether those have been effective.

Is anyone enough of a wizard to estimate the GFs of flight takeoffs to 7000, 30000, and 70000 ft, with and without pre-breathing oxygen?

Maybe a "flight deco planner" in a future version of Subsurface?? 🙏🏼🧞‍♂️ Checkbox for "lost cabin pressure"?

EDIT: relevant

Is anyone enough of a wizard to estimate the GFs of flight takeoffs
The problem is identifying what GF value would be safe at such altitudes. Tons of people surface with GF=85% daily without issue. If you made a sea level dive (surfacing at GF=85%), then waited before takeoff such that your 8000-ft GF would also be 85%, you would almost certainly be bent. The study in 2002 by Duke University had DCS incidents occurring with a GF(8000 ft)=18%.

The study in 2002 by Duke University had DCS incidents occurring with a GF(8000 ft)=18%.

Today I learned why we might as well keep breathing that deco O2 ALL the way down at the end of a deco diving trip

Is anyone enough of a wizard to estimate the GFs of flight takeoffs to 7000, 30000, and 70000 ft, with and without pre-breathing oxygen?

Maybe a "flight deco planner" in a future version of Subsurface?? 🙏🏼🧞‍♂️ Checkbox for "lost cabin pressure"?

EDIT: relevant
I think you could spoof this by setting the atmospheric pressure in Subsurface to the pressure at your target altitude, then planning a dive to a depth that equals sea level absolute pressure, for an absurdly long time

I think you could spoof this by setting the atmospheric pressure in Subsurface to the pressure at your target altitude, then planning a dive to a depth that equals sea level absolute pressure, for an absurdly long time
Or plan a 1 minute dive to 3 ft at 8000 ft elevation starting at your planned flight time (looking at the surfGF in the profile window).

How much dissolved nitrogen are we talking about, just from sea level saturation?

Seeing figures like ~15 mL N2 / L (blood/'body?')
Higher for fats (~60mL/L)? But minor fraction of body tissue?
Sounds like quite a lot of gas.

Take the total volume as blood & fat only (~10 L?)
Or the whole body (~60-100L @ 1L/kg?)

Ranging from ~150 mL to ~1500 mL of total potentially gaseous nitrogen?

Now I'm tempted to make Subsurface estimate/output what actual volumes of gases are theoretically dissolved in each compartment (or the sum) at any point in a dive profile.

Relevant to the air vs. nitrox debate? What happens to these volumes on 21/35?

The price of oxygen is ridiculously variable. The first time I opened an account, I was charged $90 for a 300 cubic foot bottle. I immediately protested that I knew someone getting it for $60. The guy said, "OK, I can do that." As time went on and I became a regular customer, the same bottle would cost me about $20--from the same company.
I suspect it comes down to why they are running the air separator. If it’s for big customer that needs tons of argon every day, well, they have a lot of excess nitrogen and oxygen they they would like to make some money on.

It's not uncommon after deco dives in NM to breath O2 on the drive out of town (which has a substantial elevation increase).
I can't begin to estimate how many times I've done this. I have breathed O2 all the way to the top of Raton Pass, which takes 2.5-3 hours.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom