Air quality testing requirements for compressors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello. My company has just purchased an air compressor and a nitrox maker so we can fill our own tanks. Until now we have been getting our tanks filled by another local shop. The air compressor is Coltri and the nitrox maker is from Nuvair. My questions are, what are the requirements for testing the air quality coming from the compressor? How often does this need to be done? I've seen once every 6 months and I've also seen people say once every quarter. What body does the requirement come from? OSHA? CGA? I've read that PADI used to require it but no longer does (we are a PADI Dive Center). OSHA has a thread on their website but it was dated from the 70's and 80's so I was hoping to find some updated information. I've emailed Trace Analytics and asked them, but have not heard back from anyone. I was hoping someone here would be able to help me with getting some solid answers or help point me in the right direction to find them. Thank you!!

The people you bought your compressor from should have trained you on the machine and been able to offer you some direction on this question.

The fact that you are asking this on scuba board means you need to have a team pow wow and reassess if you should be selling air or nitrox. This isn't hard, but it is life dependent. Buying a compressor on the internet and asking scuba board what to do is some real micky mouse BS.

Sorry if this is harsh, but if you want to be a professional act like one. What I read is - I'm a cheapskate PADI dive center owner who bought a cheap compressor online and want the internet to train me on how to own/operate it.

Find a professional to guide you, not scubaboard. It might cost some money, but think about the liability of what you are doing.

And this is coming from a safety 3rd type of character.

Hello. My company has just purchased an air compressor and a nitrox maker so we can fill our own tanks. Until now we have been getting our tanks filled by another local shop. The air compressor is Coltri and the nitrox maker is from Nuvair. My questions are, what are the requirements for testing the air quality coming from the compressor? How often does this need to be done? I've seen once every 6 months and I've also seen people say once every quarter. What body does the requirement come from? OSHA? CGA? I've read that PADI used to require it but no longer does (we are a PADI Dive Center). OSHA has a thread on their website but it was dated from the 70's and 80's so I was hoping to find some updated information. I've emailed Trace Analytics and asked them, but have not heard back from anyone. I was hoping someone here would be able to help me with getting some solid answers or help point me in the right direction to find them. Thank you!!
This is a poor advert for your business.

You need to research the local requirements, but if nothing else the compressor manufacturer’s manual would give you a starting point.

And have you told your insurance provider you’re now selling Nitrox and air fills.

Hello. Since you have Nuvair equipment, take a look at Air/Gas Test Kits | Nuvair for some of the most common testing standards available and kits for purchase. Many air test standards are quite dated. NFPA recommends quarterly testing. For a .pdf of common analytes and standards, see https://nuvair.com/brochures/Analytes-Standards.pdf.

I'll refrain from the dog-pile about your knowledge of air testing best practices.

TRI Air testing is another source for test results. I used them on my new-to-me RIX before I started filling tanks

Safety Labs+ in Florida does my air sample analysis...

What does your insurance provider recommend?

Keep in mind, you want a documented resource that stands up in court....

Also, do you have a compressor/fill panel operator certification? How do you address meeting the OSHA hazardous material (>29 psi) training requirements?

I'll refrain from the dog-pile about your knowledge of air testing best practices.

TRI Air testing is another source for test results. I used them on my new-to-me RIX before I started filling tanks
Thank you! I have emailed TRI Air customer service and am waiting to hear back from them. Thank you very much for your suggestion!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom