Why the Prejudice about DIR or GUE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
Only twice a week? Y'er such a weenie ... :wink:

Actually, it is rather amusing when people who don't know the first thing about DIR (except the pro and con rants they read on the Internet) come in here and tell us all what DIR isn't good for.

I daresay Puget Sound qualifies as cold water ... and there's a robust DIR community around these parts. Seems to work rather well, actually ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'll agree that Puget Sound is cold water. Not many places around here that you can find 50 degree water in July. :)

Bigcape:
This helps!

Indeed. So much more informative than a period of awkward silence.

I am rather a HYBRID diver. I think if someone feels DIR is for them,,than they should persue that direction......it's not for me, but may be good for the next fellow. I find it interesting that there are so few GUE instructors nationally and how few divers have even completed or partc. in a GUE program.

Bigcape:
This helps!

------------------
So does this ...

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=43458

... since the majority of the posts in this thread are non-DIR responses ... and therefore violate the posting rules for this forum ... I think the thread should be moved out to Basic Discussions ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

dsteding:
Just like anything else, people don't want to hear the "my way is the only way" mantra. I think it is important to remember that letting your ego lead in diving is probably not compatible with the DIR philosophy. As a newer diver and a kool-aid "gulper" I remind myself of that on occasion. There is also room in the ocean for a wide variety of diving styles, and as a PADI OW trained diver, I've certainly dived a different way in the past . . . DIR for me is largely about becoming the best diver I can be, and my choice of instructors--GUE or not--largely involves seeking out those people that challenge me to be a better diver.
I think that's a great attitude to take!

When I started diving, ditch-n-don and buddy breathing were taught as the "standard"

Three years later, having an octo was just becoming "standard"

As the years pass, the "standard" changes. Now, the newer thing is BC 2nd stage. Will it become "standard"... time will tell. If it does, you can be sure some will fight it, and some will accept it.

Those who originally developed SCUBA would be surprised at what is called "standard" today... lol

NWGratefulDiver:
So does this ...

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=43458

... since the majority of the posts in this thread are non-DIR responses ... and therefore violate the posting rules for this forum ... I think the thread should be moved out to Basic Discussions ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
The question itself (by TOS is placed in the wrong spot)
NetDoc:
6) The answers in this forum are member's best attempts to answer questions within, and according the DIR diving philosophy. If you wish to give a non-DIR answer, please do not post it in this forum. If you do not wish your question to be limited to DIR answer, please ask it in another applicable forum.
unless the original poster was only looking for DIR responses (I don't know for sure, but I think he was not), then it should have been posted in Basic Discussions.

Must I repeat - Much like University of Alabama fans........

Bigcape:
Ps Its in DIR forum cause it was a question about DIR
Yes it was and it was a valid question for that forum.

However, since most of the answer you got were from non-DIR trained posters, the rest of the thread is technically violating the 'special rules' for that forum. So those who suggested moving it out here get their wish...

Have fun and play nice :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom