Why the Prejudice about DIR or GUE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boomer7:
I just find it offending to have a 23 year old punk tell what I am doing wrong when I have three times the dives they do and the only time they dive is in a Quarry to work on thier skills.

Everyone has something to add, so don't discount something someone says just because they might have less experience than you. :)

Brane, you haven't taken fundies yet. You be will insufferable afterward and will have to quanantied for an extended period.

I'm just a natural born agnostic so it's hard for me to except any discpline whole. The system as complete DIR or not DIR has turned me away. That and the fact that JJ uses "nontheless" 300 times in "Fundamentals of Better Diving." :wink:

I have adopted many DIR practices which make sense. But I remain flexible in my thinking about everything.

TheRedHead:
I have adopted many DIR practices which make sense. But I remain flexible in my thinking about everything.

Amen to that. I pick and chose what suits me regardless of what camp it came from. "Nonetheless":wink: there's always room for improvement or change as a given situation dictates.

Dave

SparticleBrane:
Everyone has something to add, so don't discount something someone says just because they might have less experience than you. :)

I understand that I am far from knowing it all. With that said, I will take advice from anyone. The problem I have is when people state an opinion and have no idea why they have that opinion. One example was that I loved Butterfly clips for my gear. I was approached by another diver and he explained that why the clips were a saftey hazzard. I completly agreed and before I dove again I replaced them. Now when people tell me htat I should not have a D ring on my right hip. And I ask why and thier only answer is because you should not have one there. That does not show alot knowledge behind thier statement.

So, everyone likes to whine about the newbie DIR diver they met who pissed them off by telling them everything they're doing wrong... Well, the flip side is:

Tek Adventure Diver:
I think ppl bash DIR because 1. DIR has to do wit marketing, and 2. DIR tells you wat to do. 3. DIR things may work for cave/warm water but for cold water not all things makes sence. Although im not DIR and everyone on this board thinks i hate them, which is not true, i do like something from DIR. but something just seem ridculous. like only using SS snaps or not using a double bladder. But aniwais DIR is pretty kool. I might take DIR-F

DIR in cold water (and high current) go to www.scret.org -- it works just fine.

I'm not sure why this thread is in the DIR forum. If you want to whine about DIR there's an appropriately titled forum for that. I don't show up in the Rebreather forum or the Solo diver forums whining about all the wisdom I wish to impart onto them -- I don't understand why the double-standard exists where we supposedly have to put up with it here.

Ben_ca:
Brian,
Don't worry about the switch to a bottom timer... a little practice and it's not a big deal... we have been spoiled by computers (of all sorts)... a little "scuba math" is probably a good thing.

It'll be good to knock the cobwebs off the primary computer :)

Would you enlighten me as to the reason for this? Why not get the most of your bottom time especially if you are at different depths. Nobody can do that math!

Actually, minimum deco does work and I think I can get more bottom time than with my Suunto. It never clicked for me (since not having taken the class) until I posted a profile of a dive I remembered well and Lamont explained it. That way I could mentally go through the dive and understand how to calculate the dive at each major waypoint.

lamont:
So, everyone likes to whine about the newbie DIR diver they met who pissed them off by telling them everything they're doing wrong... Well, the flip side is:

DIR in cold water (and high current) go to www.scret.org -- it works just fine.

I'm not sure why this thread is in the DIR forum. If you want to whine about DIR there's an appropriately titled forum for that. I don't show up in the Rebreather forum or the Solo diver forums whining about all the wisdom I wish to impart onto them -- I don't understand why the double-standard exists where we supposedly have to put up with it here.

Nobody is whining. I asked what all the hub-bub was about and now I know. Thank you to everybody!!

Basically if there is more than one way to anything, that one does with any passion at all, your gonna get some friction.

Ps Its in DIR forum cause it was a question about DIR

Bigcape:
Would you enlighten me as to the reason for this? Why not get the most of your bottom time especially if you are at different depths. Nobody can do that math!

I can actually do that math. Anyone should be able to learn how to do it if they understand where approximation methods are valid and where they are not...

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=157475

Bigcape:
Nobody is whining. I asked what all the hub-bub was about and now I know. Thank you to everybody!!

I don't think you were actually whining, but the thread is certainly showing tendencies of degenerating into that.

Basically if there is more than one way to anything, that one does with any passion at all, your gonna get some friction.

The things is that most DIR divers really don't care. Let us dive the way we want to dive, don't tell us that we can't dive DIR in cold water when we're doing it twice a week, and give us a forum so we can obsess over stainless steel bolts vs. brass and leave us alone...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom