Why the Prejudice about DIR or GUE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I understand Lamont's POV and this thread really should be in the General Scuba forum. The vast majority of DIR divers on scubaboard are very helpful when asked to explain basic concepts. Lamont deserves sainthood for his numerous explanations of gas planning on deep dives.

Lamont gave a good reply.. May I add though is with the tables and depth averageing go along the deep stops and skills to make solid mid water stops on your ascent profile...

This is one aspect of DIR where taking pieces and not the whole picture in would probably hurt you.

Again YMMV and Internet DIR is just DIW :)

edit:typo

If we want to move the discussion we can re-open Why not Fundies if you guys want.... probably more fitting

BTW where is Lynne?

I'm not worried about my fundamental skills at this point. I spent 8 days diving with an IANTD instructor starting with fundamental kicks and working all the way through staged decompression dives. It was quite brutal. He has connections with AG although he teaches through IANTD and NAUI.

lamont:
The things is that most DIR divers really don't care. Let us dive the way we want to dive, don't tell us that we can't dive DIR in cold water when we're doing it twice a week, and give us a forum so we can obsess over stainless steel bolts vs. brass and leave us alone...
Only twice a week? Y'er such a weenie ... :wink:

Actually, it is rather amusing when people who don't know the first thing about DIR (except the pro and con rants they read on the Internet) come in here and tell us all what DIR isn't good for.

I daresay Puget Sound qualifies as cold water ... and there's a robust DIR community around these parts. Seems to work rather well, actually ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ben_ca:
If we want to move the discussion we can re-open Why not Fundies if you guys want.... probably more fitting
There's a special place in Hell for that thread ...

Ben_ca:
BTW where is Lynne?
Indonesia ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I am DIR because everything I do I do right. However, in answer to your question. DIR and GUE divers are like University of Alabama fans. The least goading results in the largest whine. That is why it is so much fun to goad them....

I get it now.

Everything from post #19 onward had zip to do with the question.

I think this is how wars in small countrys get started!

Okay.. since I am new to all this.. will someone please tell me what DIR and GUE is?

A DIR is where you store your files and a GUE is a Graphic User Enterface.

regul8r:
Okay.. since I am new to all this.. will someone please tell me what DIR and GUE is?

Back
Top Bottom