Why doesn't the USA adopt officially the metric unit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and,....................... I'll go from a average white guy to the "white myth" overnight as well!!!!
hahhahhphohihuuihoohiuhhiiohoiih!!!

To clarify the issue of the actual diameter of handgun bullets, a 9mm Parabellum barrel inner bore diameter, measured in the grooves, not in the slightly raised spin-imparting lands, is indeed 9mm, within standard manufacturing tolerances. This is equivalent to about .355 inches.
.357 magnums and so-called .38 Specials have bullet diameters of about .357 inches, almost identical to the 9mm. .357 Magnums have more powder in a larger case. The .38 Special is misnamed because some older black powder pistols did indeed fire a .38 lead ball, and the designation continued with equivalent smokless powder weapons, though if you look at old Civil War firearms, some are correctly designated as .36 caliber.

Modern cartridges vary widely, depending on bullet weight and the amount and exact type of powder, its burn rate, etc. Wartime loads made by the Germans for their 9mm submachine guns are so hot they can turn a pistol to junk with one shot. Likewise with some WW2 era .45 ACP rounds designed for guns like the Thompson, which carry a big warning "For Submachinegun Use ONLY".

Generally 9mm handgun rounds are more powerful than .38 Specials, but not as powerful as the .357 Magnum. There are all kinds of extra hot modern pistol loads, designated with +, +++, and other warnings that you may have a bad experience by trying to fire them from an older pistol. The biggest difference between the 9mm, the.38 Special (really an anemic .357), and the .357 Magnum is the fact that the 9mm, like the .45 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol), has a rimless case, designed to be fired in a semi-auto pistol, not from a revolver. Owners of .357 Magnums know that they can fire the milder .38 Specials from their revolver, though the reverse is not possible.

We were going to go metric and use alternative energy rather than oil in the 70s, but then we elected Reagan...

life is too short for change, especially such a big change over as that, the UK was supposed to have changed over soley to the mectric system by the early '60s, and look at where we are now, you still cannot walk into a hardware store and buy a metric only tape measure or ruler, 40 odd years later

expecting a country as large as the US to take it on is just plain nuts

personly i cannot work in imperial, i have to get tape measures and measuring equiptment in europe, as it's not readily avaliable here in the UK

expecting a country as large as the US to take it on is just plain nuts

but the US has adopted it in many areas. The hard part is trying to do both at the same time. We need to choose one or the other. My business is completely crazy. The scientific part has gone metric and we measure water in our tanks by metric tons and liters, and mililiters. BUT we buy pumps from the US all in GPM. Try doing parts per million in ounces per gallon. We stock shrimp at X pieces per meter square, harvest in lbs/acre, measure growth in grams per week, sort by x pieces/lb. Measure water temp in centigrade and air in farenheit.

I had one of our maintenance guys come to me and ask how to convert metric to imperial because his instructions to build a jig were all in metric...but being American, he thought he had to convert everything. I handed him a metric tape measure and told him to follow directions. He gave me a puzzled look and continued his search for conversion.

We were going to go metric and use alternative energy rather than oil in the 70s, but then we elected Reagan...

:dork2: :lotsalove: :rofl3: :popcorn: :D :eyebrow: :crafty:

you :hippy:

post 3/16 :wave-smil

I say lets turn the clock back to 1978 ...ha ha ha

the whole world has gone nuts, i gues you just need to work in what ever measurement is best for the job and the time

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom