Why doesn't the USA adopt officially the metric unit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ehh?

what's this debate about perception with either system regarding bigger packages versus smaller packages?

10-inches = 10,000 mils in engrish units

10-inches = 254 mm in metric units or 254,000 micrometers in metric units

As I understand, US officially adopts the metric system. So, in the science and engineering field, metric system is actively used.

What drives me nuts is that the US has adopted the Metric system in the sciences (no Walter, furlongs per fortnight won't work at the quantum level), and then they change the base units from those used by the rest of the world.

An example: mols/liter (international) --> mg/dl (US) Makes absolutely no sense. Why even change? And it gets even worse because of differing molecular weights.

We were going to go metric and use alternative energy rather than oil in the 70s, but then we elected Reagan...
Really?
And here I thought we elected him to get us out of the 21% inflation mess that Carter created...

Aaand, the peanut made its biggest comeback during his presidency!

MIles and feet are one thing, once you get on the water you get into knots, nautical miles (1.15 statute miles), fathoms (6 ft) on the charts and shots (90 ft) when measuring chain.

OK, OK you math nerds..........
Here is the brain buster for you:
If a property if 60 furlongs by 60 rods, and has a easement of 45 meters and 2" to the curb, then 4 miles to the corner store.......
how much gas does it take for me to get a movie from Netflicks???
Hmmmmmmmmmmm??????

When I am asked to pick a number between one and ten.........

I pick 8.3257298745631

When I was flying...

speed in knots
altitude in feet
fuel pressure in psi
engine temperature in celsius
direction measured in degrees (now there is a discussion...360 degrees in a circle)
time measured in minutes
position information was either latitude/longitude or GEOREF
And we had a multitude of map reference systems to choose from

The ground was still at the same elevation when we landed.

It just doesn't matter

OK, OK you math nerds..........
Here is the brain buster for you:
If a property if 60 furlongs by 60 rods, and has a easement of 45 meters and 2" to the curb, then 4 miles to the corner store.......
how much gas does it take for me to get a movie from Netflicks???
Hmmmmmmmmmmm??????

Easy. That's a trick question. No gas at all. Because it's NetFlix. Not Netflicks

:10:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom