Why doesn't the USA adopt officially the metric unit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who wants to adopt a system of measurement that ws developed by the French?

:froggy::froggy::froggy::froggy::froggy:

The essence of the metric system is the use of decimals to simplify the math. One doesn't say that you need 1/2 liter of water you say 0.5L or 500mL of water. Or 3/4 of a km rather you say 0.750km or 750m.

Nope. The simplicity of the metric system is the facility to convert between sub-units (units of lenght for example), not the use of decimals only. like I showed on this previous post:

distance and lenght

imperial

mile (mi) 1
furlong 8
rod (rd) 320
yard (yd) 1760
foot (ft) 5280
inch (in) 63360

Metric

kilometer (km) 1
meter (m) 1 000
decimeter (dm) 10 000
centimeter (cm) 100 000
millimeter (mm) 1 000 000

Much simpler in metric because everything is either a fraction or a multiplication of 10

same applies to weight, capacity and volume, etc.

I've been raised with both systems. I know how to and do use both. I have to. It's my job. If you never used both systems regularly, how can you judge which system is the easiest, how can you have an unbiased opinion on the subject? I know I can. I use both. All the time. Metric is much simpler to use and will generate less errors. That's my unbiased opinion on 2 systems I use regularly.

Who wants to adopt a system of measurement that ws developed by the French?

Seems you already use something that was developped by the french :wink::D

AQUALUNG
The aqualung is a breathing apparatus that supplied oxygen to divers and allowed them to stay underwater for several hours. It was invented in 1943 by Jacques-Yves Cousteau (1910 -1997) and the French industrial gas control systems engineer Emile Gagnan. Among the innovations in their device was a mechanism that provided inhalation and exhaust valves at the same level. That summer, the new device was tested in the Mediterranean Sea down to 210 ft (68 m) by Cousteau, Philippe Tailliez, and Frédérik Dumas. This safe, easy-to-use, and reliable device was the first modern scuba system.

Seems you already use something that was developped by the french :wink::D

AQUALUNG
The aqualung is a breathing apparatus that supplied oxygen to divers and allowed them to stay underwater for several hours. It was invented in 1943 by Jacques-Yves Cousteau (1910 -1997) and the French industrial gas control systems engineer Emile Gagnan. Among the innovations in their device was a mechanism that provided inhalation and exhaust valves at the same level. That summer, the new device was tested in the Mediterranean Sea down to 210 ft (68 m) by Cousteau, Philippe Tailliez, and Frédérik Dumas. This safe, easy-to-use, and reliable device was the first modern scuba system.

You win the internet with that reply :rofl3:

:wave-smil

:deadhorse:

Skull -

:no.... :D

Actually...

9 mm = 0.3543307087” = .354 caliber

.357 caliber = 9.0678001 mm = 9.07 mm

So a 9mm round is the smallest and then the 357.

Actually, the metric system was originally proposed by a German Monk in 1210.
He showed it use, however, the church suppressed it as it did not make use of "7".
At the time 7 was a holy number, as was 12 in the roman empire.

I compiled a reasearch paper on this subject some years back, dont remember the Monks name.
He was told to stuff it by the church.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom