Why do we teach flutter kick at all?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would you mind posting this to the Blue Heron Bridge Trolls thread....it is at least equally needed at BHB..probably more needed, because there is NO STANDARD of diver behavior at BHB yet, as there is at Lembeh.

I just posted it in a new thread in the Basic forum-- I suspect there's a pretty good number of sites out there that could benefit from people being more sensitive to what they do.

I love this video. However, the biggest issue is not the type fin kick but the lack of buoyancy skills and trim and understanding of what correct trim is. As well, lack of concern for the environment and critters, in other words, ignorance and a certain degree of selfishness. I am going to get my shot, I paid to come here, to hell with everything but what I want type mentality.

N

I know you arent condoning these practices, so this isnt really a reply to you. Its more of a reply to people who do this stuff. Anyways, I think what they should realize is that they will get better shots if they refrain from scuffing up the bottom and trampling over wildlife.

Last edited:
My Tech instructor teaches all his recreational divers to frog kick during OW classes amongst other things.

When I go hiking in the woods I keep my boots a foot off the ground so I don't desturb anything. I hate those that walk with their boots on the ground and leave footprint, kill the spiders and plants and other creatures.

When I go hiking in the woods I keep my boots a foot off the ground so I don't desturb anything. I hate those that walk with their boots on the ground and leave footprint, kill the spiders and plants and other creatures.

I am not sure I am following. Are you saying that asking divers to stay off the reef is like asking a hiker not to put his boots on the ground?

Sorry to hear that your pixie dust is failing you, but I can understand your leaving tracks like that when your buoyancy control on the trails you. Might I recommend the PADI Pixie Course .... it might help.

This thread is is just another rant for the DIR Mutual Admiration Society and their wannabes. It has the same flaw as the "Why isn't the BP&W standard" thread... because it's not. The first huge obstacle to changing the standard is getting the instructors proficient in the skill. Beyond that OW is OW and teaching to make a good firm full legged flutter kick which many already know more or less makes more sense. Any body, any fin, anytime.

Don't get me wrong there is a time and place for alternate kicks and lots of other skills but we're talking about a course/certification likened to a learners permit to drive.

To those skilled, over the top instructors that choose to teach or expose students to a range of kicks all the more power to you. I would ask what your requirement is for a student to pass OW?

Pete

I am hardly DIR, or a DIR wannabe, but frankly I also do not see why BP/ws are not the standard. Not because they are "better," just because they'd radially reduce the inventory required ... one size (with a tiny bit of effort) fits all, no more small, medium, large, XL, etc.

I am hardly DIR, or a DIR wannabe, but frankly I also do not see why BP/ws are not the standard. Not because they are "better," just because they'd radially reduce the inventory required ... one size (with a tiny bit of effort) fits all, no more small, medium, large, XL, etc.

That might be nice if everyone happened to like the BP/W. However, there are those, like me, that don't.

This thread is is just another rant for the DIR Mutual Admiration Society and their wannabes. It has the same flaw as the "Why isn't the BP&W standard" thread... because it's not. The first huge obstacle to changing the standard is getting the instructors proficient in the skill. Beyond that OW is OW and teaching to make a good firm full legged flutter kick which many already know more or less makes more sense. Any body, any fin, anytime.

Don't get me wrong there is a time and place for alternate kicks and lots of other skills but we're talking about a course/certification likened to a learners permit to drive.

To those skilled, over the top instructors that choose to teach or expose students to a range of kicks all the more power to you. I would ask what your requirement is for a student to pass OW?

Pete

GUE advocates the use of both a flutter kick and a modified flutter kick. The original question has nothing to do with DIR.

Back
Top Bottom