frog kick technique tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep. On your belly on a coffee table or something similar with your fins on your feet.
how do I make sure it'll translate underwater to a frog kick and not a back kick
no idea how I can do one and not the other

It's embarrassing to bomb it during a dive when ...
Don't worry about what it looks like. Just try out different fin angles and kicks on normal fun dives and you'll likely get the hand of it quickly. As long as you're not getting too close to coral you wont break anything. Kicking up some sand or mud ok.

Don't worry about it and go dive, try different kicks and practice during the dives. If you get your buoyancy dialed in everything becomes easier. Dive, dive, dive and once you have a bunch of dives under your belt a break in-between dives won't matter much. You don't have to be perfect most of us aren't, just go have fun.

Yep. On your belly on a coffee table or something similar with your fins on your feet.

A glass coffee table?

how do I make sure it'll translate underwater to a frog kick and not a back kick
no idea how I can do one and not the other
Mirror so you can see your fins and have video of frog kick playing to follow along with. That’s what I did.

I used to practice in the pool on my back sans fins or scuba. Clapping the bottoms of your feet together is how I explain it, but again, you should feel the power coming from the bottom of your toes.

We should work together.

I can't go back, but I can go forward. You teach me to the "wrong way" that I need to learn ... I'll teach you "right way". :cheers:

Or we'll both learn how to go nowhere fast. :trainwreck: :rofl3:

Just get the order right! :thumb:Starting from the "recovery" stroke:
  • Frog: bend knees, rotate feet outward, extend knees, rotate feet inward, glide.., bend knees, ... [push with the bottom of your feet when extending]
  • Back kick: extend knees, rotate feet outward, bend knees, glide..., rotate feet inward, extend knees, ... [pull with the sides then top of your feet when bending knees toward your butt]
When you rotate feet inward, you make a V with your fins. This is especially important going backwards.

We should work together.

I can't go back, but I can go forward. You teach me to the "wrong way" that I need to learn ... I'll teach you "right way". :cheers:

Or we'll both learn how to go nowhere fast. :trainwreck: :rofl3:
LOL hey, maybe we'll struggle together.
I'm down if you are though lol, where do you dive?

Back
Top Bottom