Why do we teach flutter kick at all?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It´s kinda funny most pro divers think it´s pro to use the frog kick instead of the flutter kick, and they are just two different styles with different uses advantages and disadvantages. As somebody well said try using the frog kick in mild or strong current, likewise try using flutter kick in a cave diving. But in an open water dive with no current is the same using frog or flutter kick. Most pro diver should focus more in teaching WHEN to use each techinique instead of teaching whats cool and pro whats not!

True every kick has its place it works well for and the diver that prefers a certain kick. Don't discount the frog kick for currents though it has work well for me. Happy diving.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

As a knock-kneed, pigeon-toed competitive swimmer in the 60s, I had an illegal frog kick and was disqualified from swimming breaststroke. Today I still can't do a good frog kick and greatly prefer flutter kick or a modified sidestroke kick (if I'm filming on my side). Of course I don't do caves and I dive solo so no one sees the dust I stir up... but the bottom feeders love the way I expose potential food and follow me everywhere.

I didn't read all the thread but it seems to me that there is a lack of understanding what a proper flutter kick is (driven from your quads, with independent rest phases and a proper termination of the kick so that the vortex moves up) vs what is commonly called flutter but in fact is driven the hips... Scissor etc..
True proper flutter kick is very powerful, sloppy = silt out in a cave

Back
Top Bottom