Why do we teach flutter kick at all?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That might be nice if everyone happened to like the BP/W. However, there are those, like me, that don't.
Your likes and dislikes (or mine) are not the issue, new students have no idea which they like and from what I can see can be as easily taught to use either.

The issue here is that divers should not be silting the bottom up, or dragging gear or fins on the bottom....I think this is alot bigger than GUE/DIR....this should be something any decent diver should agree with, and want this to be more widespread.

The flutter kick is just one kick divers should learn.

Why not have a choice of kicks to use?

Has anybody ever tried teaching OW students to frog kick? (We don't, but we do try to encourage them into a modified flutter kind of kick.)

My ow instructor taught both frog kicking and backing up. Everyone in my class had at least a halfway decent frog kick by the end of class and most could backup.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Agreed...if the current group of students taught by the bad instructors at the BHB were being taught how to drive a car, they would only know how to turn left :)

Fortunately there are also a few instructors teaching how to turn right, stop, even backup....

No one said anything about not teaching the other kicks, or only teaching one kind of kick. I dont think OW students need to know how to back kick, but I would like to see standards that required OW students to learn how to frog kick, and flutter kick. The proper way of flutter kicking, where the force isnt going downwards straight into the silty bottom. Of course, what I desire has no bearing whatsoever. But thats just my .02

Your likes and dislikes (or mine) are not the issue, new students have no idea which they like and from what I can see can be as easily taught to use either.

If my first experiences with diving had involved a BP/W as my only choice, I probably would have quit diving. I dislike them that much. Fortunately, I learned to dive years before any type of BC was in use.

That might be nice if everyone happened to like the BP/W. However, there are those, like me, that don't.

Cummon', a BP/W is just another variation on a BCD. It is not rocket science, or some new fangled invention. (Actually to those of us who first trained at the end of the 60's or the beginning of the 70's any at all BCD is a new fangled invention)

I may have my preferences, and at this point it is a plate and wing, but we started out originally with just a plate and a web harness to hold the tank on our backs, and then later someone added the bladder thingy along the way.
Since that truly revolutionary change we have only been doing minor tinkering and adjusting to what is in essence the same system, with minor difference, whether you call your rig a poodle jacket, and BCD or a BP/W. Even the sidemount diver has made very little changes in how they achieve buoyancy control.

The only truly significant change in buoyancy control as I see has been the growing acceptance of the dry suit as a secondary buoyancy system.

I am not ignoring you vintage divers who shun the entire BCD thing completely, but as you are not an active part of the jacket/wing squabbling I figure you are simply spectators in this pi$$ing match.

---------- Post Merged at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:14 PM ----------

As for buoyancy control, and kicking so that you do not damage the reef, or silt out everyone else, if you do not have that sort of control, stay in the pool until you do.

I do not give a dam what sort of gear you choose to dive. That is completely up to you, but when you can't hover over a fragile reef without destroying it, you have no business on the reef at all.

Cummon', a BP/W is just another variation on a BCD. It is not rocket science, or some new fangled invention. (Actually to those of us who first trained at the end of the 60's or the beginning of the 70's any at all BCD is a new fangled invention)

I may have my preferences, and at this point it is a plate and wing, but we started out originally with just a plate and a web harness to hold the tank on our backs, and then later someone added the bladder thingy along the way.
Since that truly revolutionary change we have only been doing minor tinkering and adjusting to what is in essence the same system, with minor difference, whether you call your rig a poodle jacket, and BCD or a BP/W. Even the sidemount diver has made very little changes in how they achieve buoyancy control.

The only truly significant change in buoyancy control as I see has been the growing acceptance of the dry suit as a secondary buoyancy system.

I am not ignoring you vintage divers who shun the entire BCD thing completely, but as you are not an active part of the jacket/wing squabbling I figure you are simply spectators in this pi$$ing match.

---------- Post Merged at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:14 PM ----------

As for buoyancy control, and kicking so that you do not damage the reef, or silt out everyone else, if you do not have that sort of control, stay in the pool until you do.

I do not give a dam what sort of gear you choose to dive. That is completely up to you, but when you can't hover over a fragile reef without destroying it, you have no business on the reef at all.

LOL Well, I do use a BC at times, like when I'm diving with my newbie sons or at a place where a BC is required. My first BC (bought three years ago) was a horse collar. I still have it and use it for diving with a double hose regulator, double tanks or both. For more modern style of single hose, single tank diving, I use an Aeris EX100 jacket which performs quite nicely. I had a Dive Rite Classic wing, connected to double steel 72s and a plastic plate with 6 pounds of lead bolted to the plate. I really did not like the way the BP/W performed and I sold it.

LOL Well, I do use a BC at times, like when I'm diving with my newbie sons or at a place where a BC is required. My first BC (bought three years ago) was a horse collar. I still have it and use it for diving with a double hose regulator, double tanks or both. For more modern style of single hose, single tank diving, I use an Aeris EX100 jacket which performs quite nicely. I had a Dive Rite Classic wing, connected to double steel 72s and a plastic plate with 6 pounds of lead bolted to the plate. I really did not like the way the BP/W performed and I sold it.
When I was certified in 1972, we did not use BC's, just the harness and a steel 72 with j valve, and single reg. Around 76 I tried a horse collar, and immediately decided it was the worst piece of sh** possible, and any one that needed one should be playing golf instead. Almost anything would be better than a horsecollar, even the early stab jackets or the At Pac, or anything. Liking the past is all well and good, but get a grip. We have some junk today, and we had some in the 60's and 70's too. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom