Why do we teach flutter kick at all?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the flutter kick in caves whenever I can (when it's appropriate). You get pretty tired on a 2+ hour dive, and it's nice to be able to use a different set of muscles than the frog/modified frog. Of course it has to be wide-open passage, and I use the modified flutter if necessary.

The dolphin kick is really fun in OW, and also lets you use a different set of muscles. I find myself using the dolphin a lot at the end of a long dive trip, when I'm getting tired.

I didn't realize that free divers also like the dolphin kick - but (duh) that makes sense with the mono fin.

Because some of us are knock-kneed and can't do a decent frog kick... back when I was a competitive swimmer, I'd get disqualified when racing the IM because I couldn't do a proper frog kick in the breaststroke.

Also, reason #2: split fins.

I wear ScubaPro Twin Jets and frog kick almost exclusively, so why say that? Only back finning is problematic with these fins. I hate when people say things like this, or the only right way to dive is in a bp/w, or if you wear a jacket style bcd, you can't be a good diver. Over the years, I have refined my equipment so it is the best for me. I do teach flutter, and frog in o/w and discus pros and cons of each, and let the students decide which they are more comfortable using.

Because some of us are knock-kneed and can't do a decent frog kick... back when I was a competitive swimmer, I'd get disqualified when racing the IM because I couldn't do a proper frog kick in the breaststroke.

I have always felt weak with a frog kick and pretty much never do it. I can't swim backwards, don't do frog kicks and somehow have survived quite a few dives.

There's a great Youtube video I found. It's not specifically about any certain kick, but there's a good illustration of the kind of mess that a bad flutter kick can make around 1:54.

Overall I think they did a fine job presenting good and not-so-good technique and habits, and the video seems like a good tool for stimulating people's thoughts toward being mindful of their surroundings and environment when diving.

Muck Diving Tips - YouTube
[video=youtube;2oJODUOoWgc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oJODUOoWgc[/video]

Last edited:
There's a great Youtube video I found. It's not specifically about any certain kick, but there's a good illustration of the kind of mess that a bad flutter kick can make around 1:54.

Overall I think they did a fine job presenting good and not-so-good technique and habits, and the video seems like a good tool for stimulating people's thoughts toward being mindful of their surroundings and environment when diving.

Muck Diving Tips - YouTube
[video=youtube;2oJODUOoWgc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oJODUOoWgc[/video]
Would you mind posting this to the Blue Heron Bridge Trolls thread....it is at least equally needed at BHB..probably more needed, because there is NO STANDARD of diver behavior at BHB yet, as there is at Lembeh.

I love this video. However, the biggest issue is not the type fin kick but the lack of buoyancy skills and trim and understanding of what correct trim is. As well, lack of concern for the environment and critters, in other words, ignorance and a certain degree of selfishness. I am going to get my shot, I paid to come here, to hell with everything but what I want type mentality.

N

I love this video. However, the biggest issue is not the type fin kick but the lack of buoyancy skills and trim and understanding of what correct trim is. As well, lack of concern for the environment and critters, in other words, ignorance and a certain degree of selfishness. I am going to get my shot, I paid to come here, to hell with everything but what I want type mentality.

N
And this is precisely the biggest issue at the BHB Marine Park, and it begins with the "bad instructors" that "teach" new students to walk and stand on the nudibranch and hydroid covered bottoms, and routinely have the students so overweighted that they are swimming with feet down hitting the bottom, head up at 40 degrees, and many in fear of how they would reach the surface if they needed to. 80% of the classes at BHB leave monstrous silt trails behind the students. There are some AWESOME instructors that teach at BHB, and their classes look nothing like this. And there are some really awful instructors, that should be embarrassed by videos... here is one :)
instructing-or-not - YouTube See what begins 41 seconds in to a beautiful dive with crystal clear vis.... I believe this instructor should lose his ability to teach. I see no excuse.

You can go backward in splits. I've done it. It's not very efficient (of course, the back kick isn't an efficient kick to begin with) and I think it would be darned near impossible to LEARN the kick in splits. But you can do it. I've been able to back kick in every fin I've used since I learned how to do the kick. Some are much easier than others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom