Why did you choose your rebreather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

m2aqua

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Greetings divers,
I am doing some research as to why people select a specific rebreather over another. Specifically I am interested as to why people select a Ambient Pressure Diving rebreather (Inspo, Evo+, Evo), and or why people choose another unit such as the MEG or JJ over the APD.

If you'd like to participate, please email me your thoughts/experience at: michael@menduno.com.

Thank you! I appreciate your help!
All the best, M2

As the proud owner of a Poseidon MKVI I have to be perfectly honest and admit that it was the price and the free training, that sealed the deal. I am a PADI-Pro and my LDS wanted certified assistants and instructors on the systems that they where dealer/instructors for. You guessed it the MKVI was the unit. Now, I think it may be of some interest, for this topic to mention that the shop deals (or is an authorized dealer for the manufacturer of) Optima & Prism/Explorer RB's. The Owner and Crse Director decided on the MKVI because of its ease of use and certification by PADI.

I chose mine [O2 & Meg] like a lot of my gear....I tried friend's, researched as much as possible; customer support/service/parts availability etc and didn't pay any attention to advertisements !!!!.......Of the two I like the Meg the best........

i looked at a lot and picked the meg.

its the only one one that is built tough and is user serviceable.

i have been on a lot of boats with rb guys.
the meg boys always get a dive.

its the only one one that is built tough and is user serviceable.

Not to get into a pissing match, but the rEvo mccr is probably the simplest CCR I've touched. 4 -Orings. It can be setup or broken down in 10 minutes. It takes less than 2 minutes to fill it with sorb. It's so simple a novice like me can completely break it down to it's core components in no time at all.

At any rate, that's why I chose it. If you understand how a regulator works and how an O2 analyzer works, you've got the rEvo figured out.

I chose a Titan and am beginning MOD1 air diluent in a few weeks. My choice was based on input from LDS and instructor (both have used, taught and or own nearly all popular models - save the JJ), two pool demo days and finally on comfort, size, transportability and build/breakdown. Also really like the ability to use sorb or a canister and the weight of the unit.

Looking forward to getting started!

I have had two rebreathers prior to my current one. I have a personal issue with all the plastic on AP units and think they look like they were made by fischer Price toy company. The Sentinel has WAAAAAAY to much electronics involved to remain a simple unit. Any unit that has hammerhead electronics is completely crap and will never be owned by me again (personal experiences with the product and company). The optima was made by designing the loop and then building the rest of it by grabbing parts of the dive rite shelves to cobble together the rest of it. From what I have seen of the Prism, it does not inspire any confidence from me. The Kiss is out of date and has become a thing of the past and should be considered retired. I have no faith in any type of "recreational" rebreather such as the Poseidon MKVI- granted I have very little experience with one of these (and hopefully never will).

The Meg is a proven, reliable, robust unit and is my current second choice of units.

I have a personal preference for back mounted counterlungs, but this is not a deal breaker, just a serious preference. Shearwater electronics are simply awesome and nothing even comes close in comparison and the company is equally outstanding.

The rEvo fits the bill for me and I am very happy with it. It is not perfect and I have bitched about some flaws openly. If I had unlimited funds and was in the market for a new rebreather, it would still be a rEvo.

Started on a Classic Inspo........because it was the only sub $15,000 available at the time. I've kept the basic loop, but have changed out a good bit. ( original controllers are crap).
Later,
John

I originally learned on a Hammerhead eCCR but was keen to use a manual system over anything electronic so opted for the Kiss Classic with the UTD Mx modifications. I really like the unit and couldn’t be much happier with it to be honest., I was intending to go with the Mx Hammerhead but liked the smaller size and weight of the Kiss version.

If I were to choose an eCCR rebreather I’d only be interested in the Meg or Hammerhead, the APD units are cheaply made plastic rubbish in my opinion and would be close to the bottom of my list if not the bottom itself. The Pelagian also looks interesting with the needle valve arrangement but I’ve yet to try out this set-up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom