Question Any experience with CCR training on Oahu?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

veryfastfourier

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone have any experience with the CCR training at Honolulu Scuba Company (HSC) here on Oahu? Particularly on a Se7en?

I’ve decided to (finally) make the jump from OC to CC after thinking about it for (many) years, both for my weekly normal dives and for the deeper stuff where I normally would have used OC trimix (a recent pay rise has also helped!)

After a lot of research, it seems like HSC is the only place to get trained on CCRs on Oahu (and almost the only place within a few thousand miles). They can teach on Se7en, Prism, and Inspiration units and can also service all of them. Has anyone dove CCR with them or had any experiences with their CCR instructors? Can you recommend them? I’m looking for as rigorous and thorough training as possible - no holds barred!

To preemptively answer the standard questions that always seem to be asked on these beginner/new to CCR threads:

1. Why this unit and why this trainer/shop? Because this is basically the only place on the island offering any kind of CCR training. No other manufacturers have active trainers on Oahu that they are aware of: there are no Meg trainers, no JJ trainers, no KISS trainers, no rEvo trainers, no O2ptima trainers, no {insert favorite unit here} trainers, within 2500 miles or so. It seems like HSC is the only option. In addition, they have rental units available (as far as I understand) so I have the opportunity to try at least two units before I commit to purchasing one.
  2. Why not travel for training and have access to a wider selection of units? Traveling for training is certainly an option that I’m considering, but since this will be my first CCR, it’s probably wise not to be the only person diving a particular unit on an island 2500 miles away from the nearest service tech, trainer, or fellow diver on that unit who can help me with problems, issues, or the occasional last minute spare part (and that seems to be common advice on SB). I’m not ruling out other units but would prefer to not be in that situation. I’ve done a lot of diving on Oahu, and been asking around about CCRs for a long time, and I almost exclusively see HSC-supported units (Se7ens, Prisms mainly). I’ve seen one rEvo and I know of one person who dives a Meg (and occasionally frequents SB). I’m not super connected with the CCR crew on island so please correct me if I’m wrong! I believe @pensacolaracer may be one of these elusive CCR divers!
  3. Why not fly out a trainer from the mainland for training? Again, totally something I’m looking into if there are great trainers willing to make the trip, but for the reasons above I’d probably still prefer to train on a unit that I can get serviced on island (or at least get help with). Shipping to/from the island for service/repairs is crazy expensive and unlike some of you, I unfortunately can’t make a fun weekend road trip out of driving a few hundred miles to the nearest tech or trainer (I think my car’s loop would flood about 2480 miles short of the nearest Meg service center).
(Some SB sleuths might point out that a few of the above mentioned manufacturers do list some trainers in Hawai’i: I’ve reached out to all of the trainers directly and confirmed that none of them are training CCRs on Oahu anymore (but were in the past). They have either left the island for good, retired from teaching, don’t teach CCRs while in Hawai’i, or are not teaching any classes at all for the foreseeable future).

Obviously any and all advice is appreciated! Bonus thank you points if you know of a great CCR instructor who spends time on Oahu but isn't listed or known to the manufacturer as teaching in Hawai'i (because I checked with most of the manufacturers too)!

I teach the se7ven but I have a buddy DJ that teaches the inspo/P2
I just this year finished my PADI TEC-100 there in Oahu! David Rosario was involved with my instruction!
I can guarantee you that you Will Not regret taking your Se7en course with David! He makes learning fun! He is an absolute Good person!

I just this year finished my PADI TEC-100 there in Oahu! David Rosario was involved with my instruction!
I can guarantee you that you Will Not regret taking your Se7en course with David! He makes learning fun! He is an absolute Good person!
Totally agree with Craig's experience. Just completed my CCR Tech40 on the Poseidon Se7en... outstanding experience. David Rosario knows the Se7en. He laid out an efficient and stimulating tech training course that was both challenging and fun. Kudos David!

Vincent Greenlee also teaches the CM O2ptima and dives and lives on Oahu. If you want contact information send me a message.

I’m teaching it out of Kona next week. Send me a message happy to discuss options.

Back
Top Bottom