Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can just detune an ADV so that it only fires when it is completely empty and you are sucking. That is how I run all of mine.
In that scenario, you don't get unwanted addition, you don't have to turn it on and off, and you still have gas to breathe should you ever have a armful of chain, doing a negative entry, plunging towards the bottom only to find your MAV flipped up behind you when you splashed.
That was the exact scenario that made me install an ADV back onto my unit. I don't ever use it, but if I need it, it is still there.

I tried tuning mine in the rEvo for a long time and just couldn't ever get it right.

It was also dependent upon the positioning of the metal bracket/plate that the ADV is mounted to (i.e., how much clockwise or counterclockwise it is rotated) and if it was more one way or the other for a specific dive.

Basically, I couldn't get it to be consistent (I suppose I could have put marks on the bracket and the plastic to make sure it was always in the same exact position).

Eventually I gave up and installed a shutoff. :)

- brett

I tried tuning mine in the rEvo for a long time and just couldn't ever get it right.

It was also dependent upon the positioning of the metal bracket/plate that the ADV is mounted to (i.e., how much clockwise or counterclockwise it is rotated) and if it was more one way or the other for a specific dive.

Basically, I couldn't get it to be consistent (I suppose I could have put marks on the bracket and the plastic to make sure it was always in the same exact position).

Eventually I gave up and installed a shutoff. :)

- brett
I get it, and that works. ADV tuning on a REVO is more of a bastard than other units due to design and location.
I didn't run one for years and honestly never saw the need.
I was hot dropping for a tie in and it went sideways once, convinced me that it wasn't a horrible thing to have.

I honestly dont know what you guys are referring to. I can dive my revo in any position and it breathes just fine, doesnt add excess gas, dont have to wrestle with buoyancy - it hardly moves when breathing, in fact i cant detect when the ADV opens. the only thing ive done is detune the cmf flow and switch to .7 on deco and run manual once I get to 6m

the only thing ive done is detune the cmf flow
How did you do this you mean you blocked the CMF?

@Tracy points are probably more valid on why you want an ADV. I've jumped in with a MAV block caught up behind, but never decended without it. I guess if I was totally rushed and not thinking - things could go sideways as he says. I jumped in once without bailout, noticed before I descended but god I felt embarassed.

The thing I like about the rEvo is the redundancy on redundancy, and maybe after reading this post I may consider an inline shutoff too.

I use the ADV on my rEvo. I have it detuned so that I don't get dil added to the loop unless I WANT dil added to the loop. But when I want it, it is there.

Marking the plate and the inside of the scrubber hole is definitely the way to go to ensure the ADV is positioned exactly the same way every time you assemble the unit.

I feel like using an inline shutoff or not having an ADV at all is just a crutch for a poor design. In a good design, an ADV will give gas when you want it and won't give gas when you don't want it - without needing to manage it manually (e.g. an inline shutoff). Let's not forget that an inline shutoff is also a potential failure point.

I like having a solenoid and an ADV. I want my unit to work at ALL times, in ALL conditions, without me HAVING to do anything manually. For example, I want to be able to breathe during a fast descent, without having to do anything manual. @Tracy already gave a great example of a case for that.

Obviously, that does not mean I'm free to ignore my unit (and its possible failures). It just means that that all of the time that it is not having a failure, I don't have to do anything except monitor.

I use the ADV on my rEvo. I have it detuned so that I don't get dil added to the loop unless I WANT dil added to the loop. But when I want it, it is there.

Marking the plate and the inside of the scrubber hole is definitely the way to go to ensure the ADV is positioned exactly the same way every time you assemble the unit.
How is the plate set up inside the scrubber hole. Do you have photos? Or do you mean you have a line on the plate and the scrubber hole so the plate goes in at exactly the same spot each time and hence the ADV paddle is allways in the saem spot.

How is the plate set up inside the scrubber hole. Do you have photos? Or do you mean you have a line on the plate and the scrubber hole so the plate goes in at exactly the same spot each time and hence the ADV paddle is allways in the saem spot.

This.

Confession: I don't actually have any of that. I'm just pretty good at eyeballing and getting mine in the same way every time. I keep telling myself I will do it, but there's never a Sharpie handy at the right time. Maybe I'll do that tonight as I prep for tomorrow.

I've de-tuned my ADV on my rEvo 2 as well by slightly bending the actuator lever and tightening the seat and as for indexing, I just spin the plate until the hoses all spiral out to their furthest point against the exhale counterlung and that seems to work each time. Not sure if this makes a difference when it comes to the hoses spiraling but mine is all manual and there are no fancy things like RMS.

I have no issues with using the ADV on my Revo... except for when around 9m/30ft and definitely at 6m/20ft when I start to do oxygen flushes. Like to exhale the whole loop through my nose until it's "empty", then inject some oxygen. Obviously trying to do a full flush may -- will -- trigger the ADV and if running a hypoxic mix it will completely dilute the loop so needing to do another O2 flush.

Anyway, using Brett's design, that can't happen as the ADV's shut off.

Have AI on the O2 & diluent and It's nice to see a nice flat line and no wasted oxygen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom