Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You may have no interest in a rEvo, but if you are going to call them bad, back it up. The rEvo has faults, every rebreather has faults. At this point you are just bashing for the sake of bashing. As you call people fanboys, you are just the opposite.
I have several times for well over ten years. Do a search. I don't go into detail anymore because it's not worth the headache.

And as for bashing the revo, here I'll give you my own personal metric on the revo that I bet anyone who's spent more than 10 years in cave country will attest to. Other than donsix and capt jim, 9 out of every 10 people who show up on a revo to cave country are vacation divers who can't dive in trim, silt up the caves, and are just a general nuisance. If I just wanted to bash the revo I would lead with that.
There are probably some pros to the revo. There is a lot I dislike and yes, I've dove one. Its not a horrid death machine. Its just not something I think is worth its price tag (or the previously historical overhaul costs).

9 out of every 10 people who show up on a revo to cave country are vacation divers who can't dive in trim, silt up the caves, and are just a general nuisance. If I just wanted to bash the revo I would lead with that.

No doubt.

Personally, I really don't like and recommend against Apeks regs. I swear it's at LEAST 90% of divers that I see using them are swimming around like seahorses and kicking the crap out of everything. Those regs are just terrible.

No doubt.

Personally, I really don't like and recommend against Apeks regs. I swear it's at LEAST 90% of divers that I see using them are swimming around like seahorses and kicking the crap out of everything. Those regs are just terrible.
Lol, that' pretty funny. You should use the search function too, cause I've got thoughts on Apeks regs. If it wasn't clear I was being facetious since its funny watching the revo guys get upset so easily. But it is truly something that's observed in N. Fl (by myself and people in the circle I dive with).

I have several times for well over ten years. Do a search. I don't go into detail anymore because it's not worth the headache.

And as for bashing the revo, here I'll give you my own personal metric on the revo that I bet anyone who's spent more than 10 years in cave country will attest to. Other than donsix and capt jim, 9 out of every 10 people who show up on a revo to cave country are vacation divers who can't dive in trim, silt up the caves, and are just a general nuisance. If I just wanted to bash the revo I would lead with that.
There are probably some pros to the revo. There is a lot I dislike and yes, I've dove one. Its not a horrid death machine. Its just not something I think is worth its price tag (or the previously historical overhaul costs).
OK, so you are saying that a rEvo isn't an ideal cave rebreather. I get that. They are not popular for that use. Doesn't help that the dealer in Florida that was selling a bunch of them was also selling to a trade prohibited country, got caught, and took a bunch of prison time. Yea, rEvo isn't popular or well likes in your little micro community of Florida caves. I don't plan to take mine there. But there are plenty of other places outside of Florida caves that people dive.

Since I was mentioned, I will say something. I am not diving my rEvo any longer due to getting something different. I have been a fanboy but at the same time have always hated some things about them and have never been shy about saying so.. They are by no means a perfect machine and the manufacturer could have done something to make them better but refused to even listen to suggestions from many users. I would still be willing to donn it and do another 10 hour dive without any concern of a malfunction though. The rEvo has always done what I asked of it regardless of location, deep, time, etc. With all that said my new unit is currently keeping me happy enough to not even be considering digging out my rEvo again.

PS - I hate Apek regs with a passion due to my own experience with them in the past.

OK, so you are saying that a rEvo isn't an ideal cave rebreather. I get that. They are not popular for that use. Doesn't help that the dealer in Florida that was selling a bunch of them was also selling to a trade prohibited country, got caught, and took a bunch of prison time. Yea, rEvo isn't popular or well likes in your little micro community of Florida caves. I don't plan to take mine there. But there are plenty of other places outside of Florida caves that people dive.
There is more to it, but again I'm not going into it anymore.

PS - I hate Apek regs with a passion due to my own experience with them in the past.
Be careful I get more hate mail from the apeks fanboys than I do the revo ones when I give my thoughts on previous experiences with either.

When I replied to your post (#46), I did not aim to convince you that rEvo was the best rebreather for your needs. My goal was to clarify one word–"proprietary"–which should be used with caution given the current rebreather market state.

Also, it seems that you have an issue with people damage cave and are a general nuisance which you could apply to anyone w/o proper skills. That is totally fine, and I bet many on this board share the same sentiment. However, attributing bad behavior to one unit is a gross generalization. I bet most cave damage in popular tourist caves is due to classes or people who do not know how to dive.

While I enjoy my rEvo, I'm saving for a second unit primarily because I want to enjoy 6+ hour cave dives, so I want bigger bottles and the ability to easily remove water from lungs. However, the second unit, likely a Fathom, will complement the rEvo and not replace it.

I realize this is an old thread and I have no idea if the OP ever settled on a unit but I think the rEvo gets a lot of unfair hatred partially because of the Sotis and North Florida (cave country) instructor drama. There were also several quite vocal instructors in Florida with their little posse of blind followers who were all told the rEvo sucks because of politics and drama.

Also - The previous owner of the rEvo really didn't take criticism of the unit that well and honestly it seems Mares hasn't really done that much with the unit besides change the first stages to Mares and tweak the ADV design. Honestly I really wish Mares would make a rEvo IV and change the counterlung configuration to make it more flood tolerant and have some de-watering ability similar to how the Mares Horizon lungs were designed. My perception is they've really done nothing with rEvo. Maybe parts are easier to get now?

I no longer regularly dive my rEvo but I still own it. It's my backup rebreather. Do I think there are better units? Absolutely yes but there are tons of things I like about the rEvo design. It's an extremely easy unit do any sort of DIY repairs on, minus the counterlungs. I'm not going to turn this into a rEvo. vs. every other unit debate but I just find it fascinating all the rEvo hate. It seems to get more hatred than any unit.

The irony is half of the people bashing the rEvo because of extremely poor flood tolerance are all diving KISS Sidewinders now. A unit that arguably has even worse flood tolerance and build quality than the rEvo. :)

Maybe parts are easier to get now?
Parts are super easy to get. I do not know what went on before Mares took over, but I was astonished by getting parts within 24 hours. Basically, you get Amazon/DGX-like shipping from the overseas manufacturer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom