Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The ADV was one of the things I hated about the Optima on the try dive I did. I didn't realize it at the time, it wasn't until I described about what I liked about the Fathom, and disliked about the Optima that someone put two and two together for me.

So when I finally buy a unit the ADV is probably the first thing to go, or at least set to such a low level that if I trigger it I let the loop volume get WAY too low.
My wife and I both have adv’s on our fathoms. She could live without hers. I actually really like mine. I have yet to have an issue with it yet. But we got some of the first fathoms back in the day and adv was pretty standard. Now very few people seem to order them with the adv (or so it appears). If mine ever gives me an issue I am likely going to fix it and keep it. If my wife’s ever causes an issue she’s dropping it.
I do see the negatives to an adv after diving the sidewinder. The kiss adv they use is absolute garbage. I would have immediately removed it if I chose to buy one
My initial comment on them was just cause the op said he’d like it for hot dropping on a deep dive site. Adv’s and hypoxic mix can be dangerous if people don’t know how to deal with them. I’ve heard of multiple stories of people passing out on the surface because they’re adv was shooting in 10/70. I also know of one guy (who’s an idiot and shouldn’t be on a ccr) who jumped off with hypoxic mix plugged in and his oxygen off. The only reason he’s alive is because he had much more intelligent buddies.

My wife and I both have adv’s on our fathoms. She could live without hers. I actually really like mine. I have yet to have an issue with it yet. But we got some of the first fathoms back in the day and adv was pretty standard. Now very few people seem to order them with the adv (or so it appears). If mine ever gives me an issue I am likely going to fix it and keep it. If my wife’s ever causes an issue she’s dropping it.
I do see the negatives to an adv after diving the sidewinder. The kiss adv they use is absolute garbage. I would have immediately removed it if I chose to buy one
My initial comment on them was just cause the op said he’d like it for hot dropping on a deep dive site. Adv’s and hypoxic mix can be dangerous if people don’t know how to deal with them. I’ve heard of multiple stories of people passing out on the surface because they’re adv was shooting in 10/70. I also know of one guy (who’s an idiot and shouldn’t be on a ccr) who jumped off with hypoxic mix plugged in and his oxygen off. The only reason he’s alive is because he had much more intelligent buddies.
To share for those other than Richard that might not understand this, the general motivation is that you need a hand free for drysuit and or wing addition anyway, so it is possible to simply use the MAV. It is also possible to crack open the BOV such that the second stage in the BOV acts as an ADV, though this is less commonly practiced. I don’t find the lack of ADV on units bothersome during a hot drop.

Yikes!!!!!

The only time I'd ever maybe consider using my ADV is on fast descents, and even then it's a non issue to push the button to add some dil to the loop.
Will definitely remove mine sometime in the future when it's time for a new T-piece on that side, it adds nothing of value to me.

It's nice to have an ADV shutoff on my Revo. Leave it on for the drop and bottom phase; turn it off when at deco. Saves a load of gas when flushing the loop as the diluent stays out of the loop. Best of both worlds.

I've spent a significant amount of time on several units with ADVs, and they stayed disabled pretty much all the time (only exception was a sidemount unit that I don't dive anymore). Hot drops in south Florida, cave diving, and everywhere else, they cause more trouble than they are worth. You need to add gas to your wing and suit (and equalize if you need a hand to do it), so using it to add dil really isn't an issue even on rapid descents.

First of all, thank you all for such great reception to my post!!

I'm surprised you felt the WOB was limited on the Fathom in certain positions, I tested a Fathom last year at Dutch Springs for one of Charlie's demo days and I found it breathed well in all positions I was able to get into (there is so much I have read about certain CCRs not breathing well in certain trims so I wanted to check).

I wasn't going to say it initially because I didn't want to offend the OP, but I believe that is more about lack of experience than anything else. The fathom's WOB is amazing. I actually initially thought the WOB wasn't great(it was my first unit) until I tried several other units and realized it was my lack of experience to compare to more than anything else.

Just to be clear, I do lack experience and I hope people don't draw any conclusions from my post.

Having said that, the Fathom breathes well, as I stated in my first post, but if you go vertical (head down) the change in breathing is extremely noticeable. Whereas in rEvo and Choptima the changes were more nuanced. All three units breathed really well for me in trim and in the normal positions, but they breathed differently.

I've spent a significant amount of time on several units with ADVs, and they stayed disabled pretty much all the time (only exception was a sidemount unit that I don't dive anymore). Hot drops in south Florida, cave diving, and everywhere else, they cause more trouble than they are worth. You need to add gas to your wing and suit (and equalize if you need a hand to do it), so using it to add dil really isn't an issue even on rapid descents.
I'm a bit confused by this post, and maybe it's because I'm a Choptima diver who's not experienced with other units.

The Choptima has an ADV, and yes, it's disabled most of the time, but adding dil while I'm descending is necessary, and the only route that's available is through the ADV. I can add dil manually through it, but still, turning on the ADV is necessary for all descents.

Are you (@kierentec) diving a unit with an ADV and a separate diluent feed?

I'm a bit confused by this post, and maybe it's because I'm a Choptima diver who's not experienced with other units.

The Choptima has an ADV, and yes, it's disabled most of the time, but adding dil while I'm descending is necessary, and the only route that's available is through the ADV. I can add dil manually through it, but still, turning on the ADV is necessary for all descents.

Are you (@kierentec) diving a unit with an ADV and a separate diluent feed?

The choptima is fairly unique in that it does not have a separate Dil MAV. Most units with an ADV have a separate diluent MAV so dil can be added with the ADV shut off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom