Great Lakes CCR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Revos hold their value just fine, it's just the starting prices which are out of line with their actual value :daydream: :poke:

I couldn't find any at all used that met my specifications. And to upgrade them to what I wanted would have been the same as just buying new.

I am researching rebreathers and like some of you, I frequent the cold depths of the Great Lakes. Out of curiosity, for my fellow Great Lake Divers -particularly those using CCR - which unit did you choose and why specifically given the environment, support/service or community in the area? I am particularly interested in Liberty, JJ and Meg - but honestly don’t see them around too much. I guess I see lots of Prism2s more than anything…some Revo and occasional KISS or AP.

What did you invest in an why?

I'm brand new to CCR. What I did was look into each unit in detail, all pluses and minuses. Talked to instructors and people I knew that have them. And based my decision on that.

I see a huge variety of units on Lake Michigan. I dont believe there is one dominant brand/model. Buying used is a great way to start.

I'm brand new to CCR. What I did was look into each unit in detail, all pluses and minuses. Talked to instructors and people I knew that have them. And based my decision on that.
When new to CCR you cannot evaluate, if a feature of a special machine is a "plus" or just not needed (or even a "minus", since it is not reliable / crap etc.). And there are a lot of features on different CCRs which at least are worth discussing (even when having experience) if needed / useful or not.

I don't know the Chicago area and I don't have a lot of experience (almost 100h) but I have dived the rEvo (hCCR) and I'm now on the Sidewinder (mainly in the St Laurent, Lake Ontario and Tobermory)
As people have said, your friends are probably your best source of information and it might be a good idea to check with them what they like/dislike about their unit
I liked the engineering of the rEvo and especially the RMS in cold water. It's so interesting to know that your sorb works and where it works, to see the difference between cold water and hot water.
I use twice as much scrubber with the SW as I do with the rEvo. Not a problem but something to be aware of.
The rEvo had a nice way of dealing with condensation where in the Sidewinder some goes directly into the sorb.
On the other hand, diving with a sidemount unit is so much fun and I'm always happy to have 2 canisters (some like it, some don't). An mCCR is very simple and is perfect to start my journey I bought a used rEvo (it held its value) and then a used Sidewinder when I had more idea of what I was looking for in a CCR.
Buying used unit is a good way to build your experience without breaking the bank if you know what you're doing.

I’ve been enjoying my KISS Classic in the Great Lakes since 2009. At the time, I chose it for used pricing and durability/ease of service. It has been a great tool. If l was doing a lot of diving, I’d probably try a Fathom, but the old Classic does things OK.

I am researching rebreathers and like some of you, I frequent the cold depths of the Great Lakes. Out of curiosity, for my fellow Great Lake Divers -particularly those using CCR - which unit did you choose and why specifically given the environment, support/service or community in the area? I am particularly interested in Liberty, JJ and Meg - but honestly don’t see them around too much. I guess I see lots of Prism2s more than anything…some Revo and occasional KISS or AP.

What did you invest in a why?
If you mostly dive in cold water, the scrubber’s cold water performance/efficiency is important, both in terms of duration and by extension potential for CO2 breakthrough in the later stages of scrubber duration under higher workloads. Look carefully at the manufacturer’s scrubber durations at lower temperatures and higher flow rates and compare. Also, if you are wreck diving and often find yourself in head down positions, look at work of breathing measurements for positions other than normal swim position. I can’t stand the higher WOB of back mounted counter lungs while trying to swim down to the target in a current…

Back
Top Bottom