Why Backplate and Wing? - BP/Wing vs Jacket BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...as if this hasn't been beaten to death :wink: ...
Why Backplate and Wing? - BP/Wing vs Jacket BC
This video aims to help viewers evaluate the benefits of backplate and wing BC system. Retrace the rationale for my evolution from Jacket BC to Backplate and wing. Emphasis on the benefits of each system, how these systems affect trim and buoyancy control. Nety up will be a similar video: Why long hose?
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)][/COLOR]
Guys on this forum gave me a tough time on my first thread about bp/w vs trad. . When i told them i got the Zeagle 911 they almost killed me! It's a little overkill but i put a factory backplate in it for a twinset and it works great....<TG>

People that dive the hydros swear by it, but for me it goes directly to the traveling diver. I tried on the hydros pro on at Divers Direct and it wasn't that comfortable tbh. I have a scubapro lite hawk which is much better suited for traveling. For deeper, longer, and wreck dives i want the magnum of bcd's, Zeagle 911.
Big,yes
unwieldy,a little
requires at sh*t load of lead,2x normal amount
does it pack a punch,of course
holds 3 dive reels,any day
badass,well thats for you to answer.....

I had the early US Divers jacket style right after the BCD replaced a safety vest you inflated orally or with a CO2 cartridge. Obviously it was a vast improvement.

In more modern times I've had and still have two back inflate BCDs, a Zeagle Stiletto and a Zeagle Ranger. I like the design, I can clip on a few things and stash stuff in pockets. I do mostly UW photography or lion fish hunting so I drag along more gear than if I was just sight seeing. I like that capacity. My Stiletto has about 350 dives on it and it's just like new. I'm very happy with it. My wife had a couple of different "travel BCDs" I thought were too spartan for our needs but she tried to pack light. After the third failure on her Aqualung BCD on a trip to the Keys she bought a Stiletto and has been happy and has never lost a weight pouch ever since. My daughter and her husband tried a few types of BCDs and eventually bought two, you guessed it, Stilettos.

When I first started dry suit diving I got a BP/W. I found the crotch strap to be redundant. Mine came with a little defect. The power dump cable was about 1/4" too short. I found out on the third dive. I started a descent and then added a bit of air (I thought) to stop it. What I didn't know was that when the inflator hose was lifted more than a little the power dump valve was opened. I switched to adding air to my dry suit and the problem was solved. I terminated the dive and tested the inflator and power dump a few times, and then ordered a new hose and inflator. This one came with the correct length cable. I still hated the set up and sold it for pennies on the dollar. I bought my Ranger and never looked back. YMMV.

Would the scuba pro hydros pro be considered a backplate and wing?
Although obviously not traditional-looking.
But is it functionally the same despite not having a single looping harness.
Particularly without the optional side pockets.
As below.

View attachment 632660
Short answer is "almost functionally the same." A plain BPW is more modular/configurable. But both put the lift at your back, and don't tighten when inflated. A traditional BPW has the metal plate, inherently adding weight higher on the body (good for trim). Flip side is that means less ditch-able lead.
Of course, my advice is worth what you paid for it!
Respectfully,
James

Thank you for your elaborate response. And I did not infer that you were downing the hydros.

Your response was very elaborate and useful, I now see how a BP w/w is versatile.
But my question was if they dived the same.

Both provide lift exclusively from the back.
Both have flat back plates.

I imagine they're in the same category.

I imagine that from a buoyancy and trim perspective the hydros and a BP/W are very similar, which is why I said the increasing number of back inflate BCD’s is probably a good thing.

one minor difference would be the lack of a crotch strap. In a traditional BP/W the system is kept snug with the waist belt and crotch strap, the shoulder harnesses are kept loose. I would imagine the tendency of someone wearing a hydros would be to tighten the shoulders more, that will likely have a subtle difference on trim but not a huge one.

Yes but would they dive the same?

On top of the weight distribution difference and impact on trim (already mentioned), the hydros has probably much more lift than you need for single tank diving (40.5 lbs unless you are wearing the smallest size).

I dive with a 30 lbs wing both with a drysuit or thick wetsuit and it is enough. 40.5 lbs would just be an unnecessary increase in drag. This problem is compounded if you are diving with a thin wetsuit. You may consider the difference irrelevant though.

I imagine that from a buoyancy and trim perspective the hydros and a BP/W are very similar, which is why I said the increasing number of back inflate BCD’s is probably a good thing.

one minor difference would be the lack of a crotch strap. In a traditional BP/W the system is kept snug with the waist belt and crotch strap, the shoulder harnesses are kept loose. I would imagine the tendency of someone wearing a hydros would be to tighten the shoulders more, that will likely have a subtle difference on trim but not a huge one.
There’s a crotch strap that you can get for the Hydros Pro

BP/W mininalist ideal for air travel. Checked baggage. However for me I'm still in the psychological mode of wanting full BCD support at the surface.

I only fear the surface in rough weather without a BCD. Should you be diving in rough seas? No however some locations can change surface conditions quite rapidly.

BP/W ideal underwater. For me BCD ideal at the surface. Moderately good swimmer in my case. Expert swimmer in great shape. Yes the BP/W is the good fit.

BP/W mininalist ideal for air travel. Checked baggage. However for me I'm still in the psychological mode of wanting full BCD support at the surface.

I only fear the surface in rough weather without a BCD. Should you be diving in rough seas? No however some locations can change surface conditions quite rapidly.

BP/W ideal underwater. For me BCD ideal at the surface. Moderately good swimmer in my case. Expert swimmer in great shape. Yes the BP/W is the good fit.

How does a BCD support you better at the surface, especially if you're going with a back inflate?

Even with the crotch strap I don't feel that I can easily maintain vertical or lean back. "If" surface conditions are moving me around. (and not compensating with snorkel). Worst case scenario I would keep my primary handy at the surface and put my face down using air(not practical however).

With my comfort level with my swimming. I feel expert underwater but not a great swimmer at the surface with any rough water conditions.

How does a BCD support you better at the surface, especially if you're going with a back inflate?

I'm guessing he meant jacket-style (traditional) BCD, which would act like a life jacket. As stated by @jagfish that the back inflate would tend to push yourself into horizontal position, which is good if you want that way all the time underwater. For me if I'm in trim position all the time, after 45-min in that position, my neck hurts. It's like walking on a road and looking up to the sky for 45 minutes. I like to go vertical once in a while.

On the surface, with big waves, and waiting for a boat to come to pick you up, I like to just float vertically, motionless, which I could do with the jacket-style BCD. With back inflate, you have to lean back or finning backward all the time to keep yourself vertical. That could be tiring after a few minutes waiting for the boat to pick you up in a big wave situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom