• OMS

Votes: 34 10.2%
  • Zeagle

Votes: 20 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 47 14.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think Stephen's post is VERY well put...

Stephen Ash:
I already said why in my OP. But I like the way jeffrey-c put it best...

Nothing in my comment or in the comment above suggests that all backplates and wings are alike. Nor do these comments suggest that DSS is lacking in quality or service.

Scubaboarders are smart... if DSS offered crap then they wouldn't be fooled. In my analogy I used Zeagle, Atomic and Oceanic. These are all A rated manufacturers . None of these companies make substandard products. To the contrary... they all lead in products and services. Nor are their offerings exactly the same... they all advertise different features. But the fact remains... you'll find more customers at our shop using Atomic regs because that's what's in our shop. If you ask one of them what kind of reg is their favorite, they will say Atomic! If you go down the street to the shop that sells Zeagle and ask the same, they will say Zeagle! You see that here on Scubaboard just like you do in any shop. While not meaning to disparage any manufacturer I don't believe that this is a situation of the cream rising to the top. IMHO, what we have is a cup full of cream and all of these products are premo.

Now having said all that, I'll add...

The DSS product is unique. It is a killer "STA-less" solution. It is offered at a very competitive price and by all accounts their service is stellar. For these reasons alone, many buyers will prefer to buy a DSS rig. Even if the other brands were more equally represented by their manufacturers, DSS would probably give them a run for their money. But I gotta believe that if JJ or Patrick or Flannagan were SB regulars that the results of this poll would be different. I don't see how anyone can argue with that.

As I have said... I think all of these products are great. Is there a "best"? I don't know. I tend to think that there might not be a "best" wing for everyone but rather a "best" for the individual... and in many cases there may be more than one "best". A DSS or a H or a Golem or an Oxy might be "best" for you but may not be the "best" for me. I think that people in the market for a rig should look more at what would be right for themselves than at what everyone else is buying.

It is possible that no one meant their comments to come across as a "personal attack."
I suppose we ALL would do well to stop and think how our posts may be interpretted by others.

Tobin and I have our disagreements and that is unfortunate. What you guys don't see is how much Tobin and I agree on. Most often when Tobin answers a question about DIVING I find myself saying, "That's exactly what I would have said." In fact, I rarely even 'check' the things he post because I know and trust that his answers are dead on. For that matter, I could say the same about you. So we do have some common ground. Where we go with that is the question. But I'm tired of the bickering and I agree with Lynne... there should be room for all of us to play here without getting sand in our eyes.

I love the fact that DSS is #1. I wouldn't want it any other way, and for such a relativly small company compared to the others. keep it up tobin!

Codyjp:
I love the fact that DSS is #1. I wouldn't want it any other way, and for such a relativly small company compared to the others. keep it up tobin!

All of the companies being discussed are small.

Best regards,

Patrick Duffy
---
OxyCheq
http://oxycheq.com

ShoalDiverSA:
Patrick,

I am so looking forward to your new website... :D

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew,

Yes, the site has been out of date for quite some time. I imagine most people that know the site will be shocked how many products have been added.

Taking the photos and cropping them has been a task alone. Once the photos are done, we'll completed the new site, launch a CD Catalog and when we finish development of some major products, we'll finally print a catalog --- only about two years behind schedule.

Best regards,

Patrick Duffy
----
OxyCheq

Vayu:
There is no BCD on earth that is stronger than Golem Gear. It is virtually unbreakable, quick to dry, and easy as peas. Please add to the poll.

-V

Care to wage a bet on that?

Best regards,

Patrick
---
OxyCheq

Patrick:
Andrew,

Yes, the site has been out of date for quite some time. I imagine most people that know the site will be shocked how many products have been added.

Taking the photos and cropping them has been a task alone. Once the photos are done, we'll completed the new site, launch a CD Catalog and when we finish development of some major products, we'll finally print a catalog --- only about two years behind schedule.

Best regards,

Patrick Duffy
----
OxyCheq

What are you guys doin'... sittin' around and drinking beer? Get the site done for heaven's sake! We can't buy it if we don't know about it. Some of us don't have an Oxy dealer nearby.

C'mon, man... get to work... :D

ShoalDiverSA:
I am pretty confident that Vayu was referring to the wing (because I own a Golem Gear rig too :wink:).

Though I think Patrick of Oxycheq may be in the process of taking the "toughest" wing crown with his Extreme Series wing...

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew,

There are other differences as well ---

Extreme Series has ---

a very tough shell
despite being tougher, it is significantly lighter and packs easy
The Mach V design is the most streamlined wing in the class
OxyCheq uses the thickest bladder in the market
it is a 360 loop wing with a zipper that allows access to the bladder
The LWSTA has a lower profile than systems that do not use a STA.

I am sure there is more, but won't bore you with the details.

Best regards,

Patrick
---
OxyCheq

cool_hardware52:
Let me refresh your memory

If you aren't implying it's my presence and not my products or service what exactly is your point?

A very very small number of my posts are unsolicited promotions of my products. Most are generic answers to BP&W questions, a few are answers to direct question about DSS goods. Of my 1700+ posts I'd doubt more than 20 are new product annoucements etc. The majority of my posts say nothing about DSS. I see it as way to give back. Divers have questions, misconceptions abound, I help where I can.

Let's see here, first you try imply it's my presence, not my products

Then you say you never suggested that, and I know it,

Then again you say it can't be my products

While the results of the poll are heartening, I don't put much stock in polls that have a tiny, non random sample. One can question the methodolgy and the poll results without questioning either my products or efforts to help fellow divers here at SB.

Would your reponse differ if your favorite maker was leading?

I'd be stunned to receive a genuine answer to any simple direct question I put to you, but there's a first time for everything.

Tobin

Tobin,

Over the years, I have noticed that when I post, sales rise and it is a direct result of posting on the lists. Every time you, I and most other mfgs post, they have their web site listed and that is definitely a form of advertising.

If you do not believe that to be true, remove your web address from your posts for the next year and you will see the impact. Every post you make mentions DSS, just like every post I make mentins OxyCheq.

So, my belief is every post you or I make promotes our own line. There is no doubt that presence results in greater sales and loyalties.

In the days of Techdiver and the RB List, I posted quite a bit. I do not have the free time that I once did and that is why I do not post as frequently these days. Once my product line is complete, I will try to have a greater presence.

Lamar (DR) is the smart one, he does not post, but he goes diving just about every day.

Best regards,

Patrick
---
OxyCheq

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom