BP/W setup question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seadogrun

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
GF and I just got the DGX AL plate and wing setup. Switching from a back inflate BC. So really we are brand new to the BP/W systems.

I have gotten in the water with it a few times now and it is amazing feeling to not need much weight and really easy to get into the trim position. I am really enjoying that aspect of it.

I am having an issue with, for instance, horizontal in the water, when I try to look forward (raising my head/face) my head contacts my first stage. It is uncomfortable to not have the freedom of head movement.

When strapped in, the tank sits nicely in the "pocket" created by the wing, but it seems like the tank is just too close to my back or too high in the wing. If I move the tank down in the wing it will leave a gap there in the wing.

What advise would you give to alleviate this?

I am considering adding a single tank adapter to move everything away from my back/head an inch or two, but not sure if that is the right way to go.

I appreciate any comments,

Have you tried lowering the tank?
Also. Where is the waist strap slots when you are in the water...
I wonder if the arm straps are to tight... try backing them off a bit so the plate sits lower.

STA are ok but the move the tank away from your center of gravity...
If you don't need it I wouldn't use it.

Any pictures

If I move the tank down in the wing it will leave a gap there in the wing.

It is unclear to me what you mean by this. Could you possibly take and post a picture to help explain what you describe?

I am considering adding a single tank adapter to move everything away from my back/head an inch or two, but not sure if that is the right way to go.

A single tank adapter (STA) is one possible solution to your issue but you can also play with how your 1st stage is mounted on the valve...some divers who experience the issue you describe will mount their 1st stage upside down.

It would be best to fully understand the issue and the limitations of your equipment. Posting a picture should help get you proper feedback.

-Z

A bit more info will help, move the tank, move the regulator are both good steps, don’t worry at how the tank sits in the pocket of the b/c, you need to set it up to work for you.

I use an STA because it makes changing tanks easier and my new favorite backplate doesn’t have slots for the tank bands (STek) but I use the STA on other plates too that have the slots.

If I move the tank down in the wing it will leave a gap there in the wing.
Without seeing it it can be hard to tell, but most wings have the slots a bit longer than necessary for the cam band, like wise the slots on the plate. See if you can run the wing a bit lower on the plate. Also, as someone else said, you may be able to wear the whole thing lower on your back.

Respectfully,

James

When strapped in, the tank sits nicely in the "pocket" created by the wing, but it seems like the tank is just too close to my back or too high in the wing. If I move the tank down in the wing it will leave a gap there in the wing.

Every modern wing I have had has had a "gap" between the crown of the tank and the wing pocket at the top. I set my cylinder low compared to many BP/wing divers. Yeah, yeah, reaching the valve thing, I can reach the darn valve! If I have to. Of the wings I have had of recent, the VDH wings gapped the least and the Oxy Mach series the most. And it does not matter at all to me. My trim is good with either and I do not notice any difference in use.

Thank you all for the responses. I happen to have a video which I was able to get a picture from. After looking at it Indeed it seems like the whole kit is way too high. Here is the picture to see what you all think.

Attachments

• 14602C99-35FE-495E-8615-D6D785746503.jpeg
    14602C99-35FE-495E-8615-D6D785746503.jpeg
    59.2 KB · Views: 130
Thank you all for the responses. I happen to have a video which I was able to get a picture from. After looking at it Indeed it seems like the whole kit is way too high. Here is the picture to see what you all think.
Yep, looks like you need to drop the plate, not much room to drop the tank itself.

Yep, looks like you need to drop the plate, not much room to drop the tank itself.
You mean lengthen the shoulder straps? Obviously as set up it is unacceptable.

Back
Top Bottom