Which Suunto?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive pretty often and have my 3mm gloves on most of the time. I use a Mosquito and have not yet had any problems with the buttons. The only time I really push the buttons while I am on a dive is when I need the back light on. All the features are on the screen, so do all your presets before you kit up for you dive. I wear it as a day to day watch as well. In my view it is a great value for money wrist-top.

PS89, have you looked at the Suunto Cobra? My LDS recommended this to me a couple of years ago and I love it. I started with the basic unit which includes a large LCD, Nitrox, and integrated air. Later, I added a compass and made it detachable.

With regards to the Mosquito, I would agree. The buttons take getting used to. The Vyper is a different story. Trust me, don't get the Mosquito as your main, go for the Vyper you will not be sorry!

Okay, thanks guys. I think I probably will go with the Suunto Vyper. Does anyone know of a good retailor with competitive prices that sells Suunto's? I would order from ScubaToys.com but they don't seem to cary Suunto's. It seems that a lot of people don't know much about SportExtreme.com so I don't think I'll order from there.

Diveral:
The Vyper also has a gage mode that the Gekko doesn't have. I have the Gekko and haven't had any problems on night or low visibility dives. I always carry a light any way so charging it has never been a problem.

$70 isn't so bad at all, especially if there is the potential of downloading to a computer in the future. Those prices are very good! Where is this Sportsextreme place? Their Vyper price is very close to what I paid for my Gekko and there was more like a $120 price difference between the Vyper and Gekko where I bought mine.

wow i have the gekko and i dont do much night diving and thanks to you i didnt know that the gekko did that i just put a flash light up to mine and it continued to glow for 20min and that holding the light up to it for 3 min. bad *** thanks

The D9 wireless is my primary (I love having all the info right in front of me with one less hose). I also use a Vyper as a back up when I'm doing liveaboards or multiple dives per day. I'm glad I've done this too because on my last liveaboard trip, during a SI, I just took a swim off the boat. I was still wearing the D9 and it went into shock and locked me out from diving!! From what I surmised it did this because I didn't turn dive mode off where the computer would have allowed me to swim and not consider it a freedive and penalize me for it. However, since I had the Vyper as a backup on all my previous dives that day, I was still able to dive and not worry about my saturation levels - I just attached a spare SPG. Not to mention, the captain would not have let me dove for 24hrs if I didn't have this backup. That would have been an expensive lost day.

Suunto's great. Wireless is fantastic. Over 50 dives with no transmitting problems.

I too own and dive a wrist mounted Vyper. I have owned two different console mounted "Puck Style" computers and continue to use one (in my console) as my backup computer (as mentioned above) but LOVE my Vyper and will also highly recommend it for its simultaneous simplicity and higher tech capabilities. It has Nitrox capability (EVEN if you don't use it now it is nice to have it) and the Guage ONLY mode would come in handy to use it as only a Bottom Timer for potential DIR compliant diving.

Having purchased too much equipment (some of it several times) it is a great FIRST/Only purchase.

Yeah, I would get the Cobra but it seems too expensive. Anyone know of any good retailors for Suunto? If I can't find one for a good price I'm just thinking about getting the Atmos 2 from ScubaToys because it's the only really good retailor I know of right now...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom