Cheapest computer with liberal algorithm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Something (altitude sensor?) fails and the computer goes into its max conservative mode which assumes the dive is at altitude, you are using air for depth (even if you specify nitrox) and you are using 40% O2 for CNS toxicity.
altitude sensor and depth sensor are the same thing, a pressure sensor. If his depth readings were correct, I don't see how this could happen.

I'm a software dev myself, I understand this as it applies to source code, but to a dive computer? Perhaps I lack imagination

altitude sensor and depth sensor are the same thing, a pressure sensor. If his depth readings were correct, I don't see how this could happen.

I'm a software dev myself, I understand this as it applies to source code, but to a dive computer? Perhaps I lack imagination
Something failed. I was guessing that something triggered its max conservative mode. Without a circuit schematic and a copy of the code, I can't do anything other than guess.

As you say. It is a pressure sensor.

Say you are at sea level and air pressure is about 1,000mbar. Instead of measuring 1,000mbar the sensor thinks it is 700mbar (aprox 3000m) and an altitude dive. The dive computer will then assume the surface (0m) is 700mbar. Once The computer senses 1,700mbar it would display 10m. So if it is the zero of the sensor that is incorrect, it would still display the correct depth.

Not saying this is what happened, but it is a possibility.

My dive computer displays what it thinks ambient pressure is (ostc). My previous ones did not.

As you say. It is a pressure sensor.

Say you are at sea level and air pressure is about 1,000mbar. Instead of measuring 1,000mbar the sensor thinks it is 700mbar (aprox 3000m) and an altitude dive. The dive computer will then assume the surface (0m) is 700mbar. Once The computer senses 1,700mbar it would display 10m. So if it is the zero of the sensor that is incorrect, it would still display the correct depth.

Not saying this is what happened, but it is a possibilit.

My dive computer displays what it thinks ambient pressure is. My previous ones did not.
Good point. It did not display ambient pressure. Neither did it have any way to indicate that it thought it was an altitude dive.

If the pressure sensor was reading slightly low (say 10%), it would trigger the altitude compensation but I wouldn't have noticed the depth discrepancy. 50' and 55' look the same to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom