Cheapest computer with liberal algorithm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This reddit post suggests it's more conservative than pure buhlman somehow, and quite a lot

Yeah, if that is true, it's BS: there's no way you can get the NDL described in that post. Either the computer is very badly broken, or the poster's FoS.

SEACs are relatively new so there isn't much real-life info on them yet.

Yeah, if that is true, it's BS: there's no way you can get the NDL described in that post. Either the computer is very badly broken, or the poster's FoS.

SEACs are relatively new so there isn't much real-life info on them yet.
Could be that the offgasing on the surface algorithm is way too conservative? I'm assuming that's separate from the diving algorithm. In any case, I think DSAT is the only one guaranteed to never cut our dives short vs my peregrine eith GfHi at 85, and there's some really cheap old Oceanic computers on eBay that will do the trick

I have a peregrine. My partner is getting into diving and doesn't own a computer yet. One of the reasons I got the peregrine is to not be the guy in the group making everyone ascend on repetitive dives, which I've seen happen a lot with Suunto people.

She doesn't care for anything fancy, but I don't want my Peregrine to be "handicapped" by her computer as we're now likely to be diving together.

So what's the cheapest Nitrox capable computer that I can buy her?
Are you going cheap on her computer because you’re not sure she’s going to stick with diving?

Otherwise, it seems like you should spend the extra $ on her for the same reason that you splurged on a Peregrine for yourself - plus that is the best way to address the new concern you raised for her computer as well:
“I don’t want my Peregrine to be "handicapped" by her computer as we're now likely to be diving together.”

Just sayin…

I say get her a decent cheap computer now (like the Puck Pro). If you both dive a lot and she gets to the point that she wants a Peregrine, give her yours and you get a Perdix or Teric (keep the cheap computer for back-up or as 2nd for solo diving, where a little bit more conservative is not a bad idea).

Could be that the offgasing on the surface algorithm is way too conservative? I'm assuming that's separate from the diving algorithm.

No. ZH-L is a pure dissolved gas model where on- and off-gassing is symmetrical. If the off-gassing rate is different, it's not Buhlmann.

But even my "scary conservative" RGBM computer wouldn't produce the numbers in that reddit post.

I'm seeing some really cheap old oceanics, I think I'll just go with that. Are there any models I should look out for?

I'd look for new old stock instead of old and used. I had a similar model and it eventually failed (after over a decade) by giving ever shorter NDL times. It confused the hell out of me until it got so bad that it was obvious. I've seen a couple of other reports of the same thing so it may be a general defect related to advanced age.

I'd look for new old stock instead of old and used. I had a similar model and it eventually failed (after over a decade) by giving ever shorter NDL times. It confused the hell out of me until it got so bad that it was obvious. I've seen a couple of other reports of the same thing so it may be a general defect related to advanced age.
How would that happen? Were the depth readings accurate? If so, I don't see how the algorithm could degrade over time like that, software doesn't degrade and the only inputs here are depth and time 🤔

How would that happen? Were the depth readings accurate? If so, I don't see how the algorithm could degrade over time like that, software doesn't degrade and the only inputs here are depth and time 🤔

Something (altitude sensor?) fails and the computer goes into its max conservative mode which assumes the dive is at altitude, you are using air for depth (even if you specify nitrox) and you are using 40% O2 for CNS toxicity.

How would that happen?

bit rot: n.
[common] Also bit decay. Hypothetical disease the existence of which has been deduced from the observation that unused programs or features will often stop working after sufficient time has passed, even if ‘nothing has changed’. The theory explains that bits decay as if they were radioactive. As time passes, the contents of a file or the code in a program will become increasingly garbled.

There actually are physical processes that produce such effects (alpha particles generated by trace radionuclides in ceramic chip packages, for example, can change the contents of a computer memory unpredictably, and various kinds of subtle media failures can corrupt files in mass storage), but they are quite rare (and computers are built with error-detecting circuitry to compensate for them). The notion long favored among hackers that cosmic rays are among the causes of such events turns out to be a myth; see the cosmic rays entry for details.

The term software rot is almost synonymous. Software rot is the effect, bit rot the notional cause.
-- https://catb.org/jargon/html/B/bit-rot.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom