Which PADI AOW specialties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess that means that it's possible to learn decent trim, buoyuancy and UW behavior by mentoring rather than formal training.

I would agree, and certainly to some it comes more naturally while others really struggle. Surely it's the most lacking basic skillset among rec divers. It really should be incorporated more into O/W rather than considered a 'specialty' skill.

Another vote for PPB. I had done a private buoyancy session with an instructor after getting OW cert and buying my equipment - at about 20 dives. I decided to do it again as part of my AOW, as by that time I was settling into some habits and wanted to recalibrate my technique, buoyancy and trim. I did it as my first AOW dive to set myself up properly for the remaining dives. I did wreck and boat as deep dives, so was able to reinforce the deep instruction as well. Also, by doing PPB first, we worked on that for all the dives. So, for example, when doing the (deep) wreck dive, I had to use good buoyancy and trim to move through the wreck, and my instructor kept observing my buoyancy and trim and commenting after each dive. By the last dive I was in pretty good shape. Nav was kind of a waste (I know how to use a compass), but is required - so I got checked out for about 15 minutes, then we finished as a normal dive, continuing to work on buoyancy. In reality, regardless of what courses you choose, at least for me, it was more of a general "let's turn you into a better diver over the next 5 dives" session. Deep, nav, wreck, etc. were just different scenarios in which to get one-on-one instruction to make me a better diver. And I think it worked.

I don't see why this is incompatible. Do dive #1 for AOW, then the other 3 dives can be done in one day.

I didn't say it was incompatible. I prefer that a student gets the maximum number of training dives possible for their dollar. I am aware that students can be provided credit for an adventure dive for when they take a class later, but that is not how I operate. So if he or she wants to take search & recovery, to do so in a separate class. If they want to do PPB, again, a separate class. Same with wreck.

My open water instructor advised against doing Peak Performance Bouyancy as part of AOW. Of course, he also insisted on doing all skills on one's knees. I tried to do it in trim and was reprimanded!

My open water instructor advised against doing Peak Performance Bouyancy as part of AOW. Of course, he also insisted on doing all skills on one's knees. I tried to do it in trim and was reprimanded!

Could you hear my palm hitting my foreheard? It was pretty loud.

I didn't say it was incompatible. I prefer that a student gets the maximum number of training dives possible for their dollar. I am aware that students can be provided credit for an adventure dive for when they take a class later, but that is not how I operate. So if he or she wants to take search & recovery, to do so in a separate class. If they want to do PPB, again, a separate class. Same with wreck.

That attitude is why I felt like AOW was just a money grab and never did it. If I have to do all of the full specialty later anyway, why bother with paying extra to do the first dive twice?

I knew I wanted to do the full specialties anyway, so I didn't need a sampler platter of different dives. And, actually, for that reason, if I were thinking of doing AOW, I probably WOULD take what some call "fluff" for the elective dives. At least, if I were doing them with an instructor that gave no credit in the full specialty for having already done the first dive.

That attitude is why I felt like AOW was just a money grab and never did it. If I have to do all of the full specialty later anyway, why bother with paying extra to do the first dive twice?

I knew I wanted to do the full specialties anyway, so I didn't need a sampler platter of different dives. And, actually, for that reason, if I were thinking of doing AOW, I probably WOULD take what some call "fluff" for the elective dives. At least, if I were doing them with an instructor that gave no credit in the full specialty for having already done the first dive.
Stuart,

I think this is more of a reaction to what the market generally wants. The mass majority of people are not interested in having good buoyancy skills. They just want to float in the water enough to see some pretty fish. Sadly, some of them stomp on coral, carve their names into coral. They don't care as it doesn't affect them, as they'll move onto the next item on their bucket list. They are not here to stay.

Honestly, I'd like AOW to be the completion of specific specialties and for PPB to be pulled into OW. Those specialties would be navigation, night (issue with countries closer to the polar caps in summer), self-reliant/solo, search & recovery. And also include rescue.

But would the market go for that? I doubt it.

"But that is not how I operate."
Could you hear my palm hitting my forehead? It was pretty loud.
"I'd like AOW to be the completion of specific specialties and for PPB to be pulled into OW. Those specialties would be navigation, night (issue with countries closer to the polar caps in summer), self-reliant/solo, search & recovery. And also include rescue."
So, you really don't want to teach AOW at all, it seems. So don't. Just teach the specialties, and hand them an AOW card after they've done five (including Deep and Nav). In fact, include Rescue and hand them an AOW card and an MSD card.
Good luck finding students....

Stuart,

I think this is more of a reaction to what the market generally wants. The mass majority of people are not interested in having good buoyancy skills. They just want to float in the water enough to see some pretty fish. Sadly, some of them stomp on coral, carve their names into coral. They don't care as it doesn't affect them, as they'll move onto the next item on their bucket list. They are not here to stay.

Understood and agreed. But, that doesn't mean AOW can't be done in a way that "works" for the people who ARE going to stay also. By which, I mean, treat as if you are assuming the student is going to go on to complete the specialties involved. Thus, offering those specialties (Nav, Deep, etc.) for a lower cost and with one less dive, because the first dive has already been completed.

That would also benefit the dabblers and the serious alike, by giving both a relatively quick path to being able to do those dives that require "Advanced", while not penalizing the serious students for wanting to get that AOW card quickly and then still move on to more training. The way you say you're doing it penalizes the serious students by saying that, either, they can do the necessary full specialties and wait to get their Advanced card until they've done them all, thus delaying their ability to go on the "Advanced" dives (while the dabblers are off doing those same dives). OR, they can pay extra to do AOW now but then still pay the same amount to do the full specialties later.

"But that is not how I operate."
Could you hear my palm hitting my forehead? It was pretty loud.
"I'd like AOW to be the completion of specific specialties and for PPB to be pulled into OW. Those specialties would be navigation, night (issue with countries closer to the polar caps in summer), self-reliant/solo, search & recovery. And also include rescue."
So, you really don't want to teach AOW at all, it seems. So don't. Just teach the specialties, and hand them an AOW card after they've done five (including Deep and Nav). In fact, include Rescue and hand them an AOW card and an MSD card.
Good luck finding students....
Woosh!!!!

You completely missed it. The part where I said that "I'd like...." is for what I think the program should entail. But that's not what it is in the PADI system. To do what I suggest would be a gross violation of standards. If I have such a problem with the PADI system, I should go to another agency or even, start my own (yeah, good luck with that). Just because I have a preference for a different way doesn't mean that I'm going to go lone wolf. I work within the PADI system, following standards, in what I feel is best for my students. If by some chance that PADI would implement exactly what I suggest (which I don't think reflects the demands/needs of most of the market), I'd be thrilled. But I'm not holding by breath.

And I have no problems finding students, thank you very much.

Back
Top Bottom