Wreck (external) vs Deep Specialty with/following AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

feldomatic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm working on my certifications via the NAUI/VA program to use some GI bill money. For those who don't know, you take the courses in 3-class bundles. Usually they consist of a core course (Basic, Advanced, Rescue, Master Diver), a required medical specialty (CPR/First Aid, O2 provider, DAN First Aid Pro, Training Assistant) and another specialty (Nitrox was required for Basic Scuba and Rescue requires Search and Recovery) sometimes the student's choice from a limited selection (from what I can tell, the VA had to see some occupational value?) I was going to take the full navigation specialty but that isn't an option now that I can see my choices on the site)

For the Advanced Scuba Diver (AOW) bundle I get to pick my specialty, and the E-learning platform is giving me these choices:
(Note: this is separate from the "taste of specialty" dives done as part of AOW, this is a full specialty course with it's own card.)
  • Nitrox (already got it)
  • Full Face Mask (shop doesn't rent, free with gear purchase anyway)
  • Drysuit (shop doesn't rent, also free with gear purchase)
  • Underwater Digital Imaging (don't have a camera yet, and the whole internet thinks this class isn't worth it)
  • Underwater Archaeology (not a lot of submerged civilizations in the Chesapeake yet)
  • Hunting/Collecting (not my thing)
  • Altitude (no plans for high altitude diving destinations in my near to mid term future)
  • Night/Limited Visibility - No doubt useful, not keen on sharing the dark with fish, but I do want to go on a manta ray dive eventually
  • Deep - does this actually unlock 100-130ft for some charters/sites?
  • Wreck (external) - Is this still a gateway to tech wreck?
For background I've got 15 logged dives going into AOW and a strong desire to eventually be full cave/wreck certified.

To me, the last two are the obvious choices, but what's the most immediately useful at my level? (I'll get the other one in the Master Diver bundle)

I'm leaning toward wreck, but I kinda want to tell my instructor "Chef's choice" and take his recommendation/favorite.

Any thoughts or a specialty I ruled out prematurely?

These two specialties are what I consider core specialties in recreational diving if they are done properly and the instructor teaches real skills and not just a "dive with me" type of thing.

I believe the same with "Night/Limited Visibility." Navigation is very important too and should be taken early on.

In my area, I consider these specialties as core specialties:

1. Nitrox

2. Nigh/limited vis.

3. Navigation

4. Deep

5. Wreck (external survey)

6. Rescue Techniques (with the other associated DAN courses)

Avoid the type of courses/specialties where the instructor just takes you out diving and doesn't follow a formal course. Many of these courses are waste of time if they aren't done properly or if the instructor doesn't have the proper background/experience for these courses.

BTW, I don't believe in the "sampler" AOWSD courses. I offer full specialties in my advanced scuba diver course not samplers.

I'm working on my certifications via the NAUI/VA program to use some GI bill money. For those who don't know, you take the courses in 3-class bundles. Usually they consist of a core course (Basic, Advanced, Rescue, Master Diver), a required medical specialty (CPR/First Aid, O2 provider, DAN First Aid Pro, Training Assistant) and another specialty (Nitrox was required for Basic Scuba and Rescue requires Search and Recovery) sometimes the student's choice from a limited selection (from what I can tell, the VA had to see some occupational value?) I was going to take the full navigation specialty but that isn't an option now that I can see my choices on the site)

For the Advanced Scuba Diver (AOW) bundle I get to pick my specialty, and the E-learning platform is giving me these choices:
(Note: this is separate from the "taste of specialty" dives done as part of AOW, this is a full specialty course with it's own card.)
  • Nitrox (already got it)
  • Full Face Mask (shop doesn't rent, free with gear purchase anyway)
  • Drysuit (shop doesn't rent, also free with gear purchase)
  • Underwater Digital Imaging (don't have a camera yet, and the whole internet thinks this class isn't worth it)
  • Underwater Archaeology (not a lot of submerged civilizations in the Chesapeake yet)
  • Hunting/Collecting (not my thing)
  • Altitude (no plans for high altitude diving destinations in my near to mid term future)
  • Night/Limited Visibility - No doubt useful, not keen on sharing the dark with fish, but I do want to go on a manta ray dive eventually
For background I've got 15 logged dives going into AOW and a strong desire to eventually be full cave/wreck certified.

To me, the last two are the obvious choices, but what's the most immediately useful at my level? (I'll get the other one in the Master Diver bundle)

I'm leaning toward wreck, but I kinda want to tell my instructor "Chef's choice" and take his recommendation/favorite.

Any thoughts or a specialty I ruled out prematurely?
I would take deep.
Wreck "external" is substantially unneeded, if you dive on a wreck but you stay outside of it, it is just a normal dive requiring no specific skill...
For some agencies this "wreck external" could be a prerequisite for the real "wreck penetration" course.
But frankly this never attracted me.
I always found wreck diving sometheting resembling necrophily.
It is also very dangerous penetrating inside collapsing wrecks, something truly "technical" and feasible only with specific equipment, training, a well organised team, proper support boat, etc.
So, if this is not in your plans, I see no benefit in this "wreck external" course.
On the other side learning to dive deep and possibly with deco stops is something very useful, freeing you from those stupid limits that some agencies impose even to Advanced recreational divers (here in Europe with agencies such as Bsac or Cmas we are allowed to dive down to 50m with deco with our advanced recreational certification).

if you dive on a wreck but you stay outside of it, it is just a normal dive requiring no specific skill...

There are potential hazards doing so the diver should be aware of before doing it especially in more challanging environments even if the diver is staying outside the wreck and not actually "penetrating" it.

There are potential hazards doing so the diver should be aware of before doing it especially in more challanging environments even if the diver is staying outside the wreck and not actually "penetrating" it.
There are potential hazards also diving close to a rock or to a vertical wall or a reef. Even diving close a jetty or a buoy...
For most divers these indeed are just "normal" dives.
Can you point out such hazards caused by diving around a wreck which are different and more dangerous than the other cases I cited?
As said I do not like wrecks, and in my 1000+ dives I was around a wreck no more than 20 times.
I did not perceive any specific additional hazards there, but perhaps these hazards were there and I simply was not aware of them...

Of the things listed, night/ limited visibility is probably the most useful. Conditions can change with the tides and being comfortable when it happens is pretty useful. Where I live dive conditions are pretty consistently poor and we don't think twice about diving with less than 10' visibility and night dives are the only way you get to see some critters.

I believe BoltSnap has the list in order of precedence, except I would move navigation up one. I believe this provides the student with the best instruction to cover most situations encountered during recreational diving. Low visibility is a real issue in some areas, tidal change can bring in algae bloom and turn 30 ft into 1 ft very quickly, if you are not trained for very limited visibility is can cause significant panic. So, I would not negate night/low vis.

For some reason Peak Performance Buoyancy is missing. As that's the only PADI course dealing with core skills, outside of the OW & AOW, it should be very important as every other course relies upon decent core skills.

Must not mention Fundies... No. Definitely not.

For some reason Peak Performance Buoyancy is missing. As that's the only PADI course dealing with core skills, outside of the OW & AOW, it should be very important as every other course relies upon decent core skills.
He is talking about "NAUI" training.

I will just take a few seconds to answer a minor question you asked.
Deep - does this actually unlock 100-130ft for some charters/sites?
Many charters are now requiring AOW for "deeper" dives, with deeper usually beginning around 80 feet (there is no clear rule on this). I don't know of any charters requiring a deep dive certification to go from 100-130. In all the cases I have experienced, AOW is all that would be required.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom