Question PADI vs SDI for Advanced Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GearheadExplorer85

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everyone:

I'm trying to decide whether to take either AOW through PADI or the Advanced Diver Development Program through SDI. I'm just having trouble deciding which route to go since I see merits to both camps. I know the instructor factors into this equation, but I want to focus on the course material aspect. My plan is to do my training in Nanaimo, BC. So my choices of shops are either Nanaimo Dive Outfitters (SDI), Sink or Swim (PADI), or Sundown (PADI).

What I like about the PADI AOW route is that you first do a sampler of 5 different types of diving with navigation and deep being mandatory. If I go this way, I would do dives that would improve my overall skills as a diver (navigation, deep, buoyancy, drift, search & recovery). Then I can take the full specialty courses for whatever I am interested in afterward.

With SDI, I take four complete specialty courses, but it sounds like they go into more depth. What I'm wondering about is what you get out of something such as a full SDI navigation course versus 1 PADI navigation dive? If I go the SDI route through Nanaimo Dive Outfitters, they would have me do the Boat, Buoyancy, Deep, and Navigation courses. Since I have already done a few boat dives, I don't really see any value in taking that course. I have to ask the shop if I can substitute that with something else (preferably Search and Recovery).

Besides having fun which is priority #1, my long-term goal is to to become a very proficient diver and a better buddy. Some other courses that I see myself taking eventually are Rescue and Self-Reliant/Solo.

I would be interested to hear everyone's thoughts on what path I should take to get to where I want to be.

Thanks!

James

I like the SDI/SSI method of taking 4 actual classes. . See if you can swap the boat course out for something else. Yes you’ll absolutely learn more taking the navigation speciality than just doing one simple dive.

If you’re getting four actual real specialty classes with SDI then I’d do that. I think PADI’s sampler platter is a joke and doesn’t really train you for anything other than seeing what specialties you want to continue with after that. The only thing PADI AOW is good for is a pass ticket so you can go on charter boats.

With SDI, I take four complete specialty courses, but it sounds like they go into more depth. What I'm wondering about is what you get out of something such as a full SDI navigation course versus 1 PADI navigation dive? If I go the SDI route through Nanaimo Dive Outfitters, they would have me do the Boat, Buoyancy, Deep, and Navigation courses. Since I have already done a few boat dives, I don't really see any value in taking that course. I have to ask the shop if I can substitute that with something else (preferably Search and Recovery).

I'd definitely go the SDI route without a doubt. I'd swap the boat with nitrox or wreck. Night is also good.

In the advanced diver course I teach, students do the wreck, deep, night, navigation and nitrox specialties. Buoyancy and boat are done by default with no card.

Here is the advantage to the PADI route.

If you do the one dive sampler and decide that the one dive was enough, you don't waste your money on a specialty you neither want nor need. If you do decide that you want to go on to do the full specialty, then you can do it, with nothing lost.

Hi @GearheadExplorer85

PADI AOW and SDI Advanced Adventure Diver are the equivalent courses. Comparing AOW to SDI Advanced Diver is not an appropriate comparison. You can do more complete courses under either agency. I don't know about SDI, PADI AOW dives can count toward your specialty certifications.

I would say to focus more on asking how different instructors teach the course - the quality of instruction you receive and the rigor will likely be instructor dependent rather than the agency. For example, I specifically asked my AOW instructor if he could teach me how to carry/sling a pony bottle on my AOW course and he did so. Even just that was useful to understand how carrying an extra bottle changes your buoyancy/trim and how easy it is to manoeuvre around a wreck.

First, you are on Vancouver Island, not far from Victoria. You should speak to Jay Schier (@decompression) about training.

Here's the one big difference between SDI and PADI: SDI allows/encourages instructors to add performance requirements/dives to courses (sensible ones of course). Now it isn't required for an instructor to do so (and Jay and I have lamented that not all SDI instructors take advantage of this). But Jay does it. Speak to him about how he adds.

A boat diving course ... that's kind of a red flag to me, SDI shop or not. If they see this and get upset, they can contact me directly and I'd be happy to elaborate further on that.

I'd recommend the following courses:
1) Advanced Buoyancy Control, augmented to be GUE fundies/UTD Essentials-like (and Jay is a UTD instructor)
2 & 3) Navigation and Limited Viz/Night. Should be really hard. Now is a good time for this with the start of algae blooms.
4) Deep. Jay will teach a good course on this.

Hello everyone:

I'm trying to decide whether to take either AOW through PADI or the Advanced Diver Development Program through SDI. I'm just having trouble deciding which route to go since I see merits to both camps. I know the instructor factors into this equation, but I want to focus on the course material aspect. My plan is to do my training in Nanaimo, BC. So my choices of shops are either Nanaimo Dive Outfitters (SDI), Sink or Swim (PADI), or Sundown (PADI).

What I like about the PADI AOW route is that you first do a sampler of 5 different types of diving with navigation and deep being mandatory. If I go this way, I would do dives that would improve my overall skills as a diver (navigation, deep, buoyancy, drift, search & recovery). Then I can take the full specialty courses for whatever I am interested in afterward.

Besides having fun which is priority #1, my long-term goal is to to become a very proficient diver and a better buddy. Some other courses that I see myself taking eventually are Rescue and Self-Reliant/Solo.

I would be interested to hear everyone's thoughts on what path I should take to get to where I want to be.

Thanks!

James

i'm an instructor (and Course Director) for multiple agencies. I choose to teach SDI classes because i find the materials, curriculum, and structure that much better. In addition, the materials pricing is much better. That means i can charge students less for SDI classes and provide better materials!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom