Question PADI vs SDI for Advanced Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My approach is similar to @BoltSnap . SDI Advanced Adventure is a "try" class for specialties. When i run an SDI Advanced Diver Development program, it is much more than just card collecting 5 specialties. And we create truly advanced divers. Students must demonstrate they are ready for intense, advanced training. Similar approach for Master Diver. We run that the same as Divemaster just without the emphasis on the "pro" aspects. And no....i am not cheap. :cool:

And no....i am not cheap

I'd rather sit at home play with my kids or go diving than sell myself cheap and end up subsidizing someone else's diving habit. I charge more and they get a lot more from me, I don't charge more just because I am "pretty." They get a lot more for their $$ and time. I also have the top of the line equipment in my dive school's training equipment fleet for my students, Scubapro and Atomic regulators and BC's in addition to dive computers and other equipment.

@GearheadExplorer85

So I've never understood this argument about sampling courses. The reason being is that all agencies for which I've taught have progressively challenging skills in each dive. The first dive of con Ed tend to be fluff in my opinion. This isn't bad as you want a student to have build momentum and confidence moving forward.

The first dive therefore is not a good indicator of what else would be learned/gained by the rest of the course.

Also if you are a reasonably experienced diver, an SDI instructor (like Jay) is going to add to the course to challenge you. Despite my experience, Jay would find something to challenge me.

I am also skeptical of the argument that it helps a student decide if they are interested in learning more about a topic.

Now I'm a huge proponent of skills acquisition courses (i.e.., not fish ID or underwater naturalist that are better pursued through self study or a marine scientist, not many of those teaching scuba - you would never want such a course from me: big fish, small fish, fat fish, skinny fish, ... You get the idea), so I don't see how someone wouldn't want a full course for the courses I recommended earlier.

That sampler spiel is marketing BS if you ask me.

PADI is geared at making Instructors, it all points that way. Go SDI if your after the skills. IMHO

Boulderjohn, that's what I was getting at when I talked about PADI in my OP. You did a better job of articulating my thoughts lol

Scubadada, thanks for pointing out that PADI AOW and SDI ADDP are not an apples and oranges comparison. Let's say that I went the PADI route and took the AOW course. Then I decided to take the complete Deep, Navigation, and Night course after. Then I think the playing field would be even. In this scenario, I don't think the buoyancy course would be necessary because there are more required dives and buoyancy is being practiced anyway.

I don’t understand why you’d do this. So you’d pay for PADI AOW and then pay for the specialties? Just do the SDI version and get the specialties and AOW at the same time. PADI AOW is a joke IMO. The SSI was SDI version is better. Of course that depends on the instruction as well…

I don’t understand why you’d do this. So you’d pay for PADI AOW and then pay for the specialties? Just do the SDI version and get the specialties and AOW at the same time. PADI AOW is a joke IMO. The SSI was SDI version is better. Of course that depends on the instruction as well…

So Scubadad said that comparing PADI AOW to the SDI program wasn't an apples to apples comparison. I was trying to see what it would take to make it a fair comparison. I lost sight of the fact that by doing this, I would basically be paying more and ending up with less certification in the process. So you're right, the SDI route is the sensible way to go.

Hello everyone:

I'm trying to decide whether to take either AOW through PADI or the Advanced Diver Development Program through SDI. I'm just having trouble deciding which route to go since I see merits to both camps. I know the instructor factors into this equation, but I want to focus on the course material aspect. My plan is to do my training in Nanaimo, BC. So my choices of shops are either Nanaimo Dive Outfitters (SDI), Sink or Swim (PADI), or Sundown (PADI).

What I like about the PADI AOW route is that you first do a sampler of 5 different types of diving with navigation and deep being mandatory. If I go this way, I would do dives that would improve my overall skills as a diver (navigation, deep, buoyancy, drift, search & recovery). Then I can take the full specialty courses for whatever I am interested in afterward.

With SDI, I take four complete specialty courses, but it sounds like they go into more depth. What I'm wondering about is what you get out of something such as a full SDI navigation course versus 1 PADI navigation dive? If I go the SDI route through Nanaimo Dive Outfitters, they would have me do the Boat, Buoyancy, Deep, and Navigation courses. Since I have already done a few boat dives, I don't really see any value in taking that course. I have to ask the shop if I can substitute that with something else (preferably Search and Recovery).

Besides having fun which is priority #1, my long-term goal is to to become a very proficient diver and a better buddy. Some other courses that I see myself taking eventually are Rescue and Self-Reliant/Solo.

I would be interested to hear everyone's thoughts on what path I should take to get to where I want to be.

Thanks!

James
I like PADI, but that's me. I am a Rescue diver :) padi Rescue diver course is fuuunnn!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom