Which all-inclusive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ASA400

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys!

A buddy and I are beginning our planning for a dive trip to Cozumel for next summer. In the past I've stayed at the Barracuda, Casa del Mar, the Presidente and another place north of town which I can't remember the name of. These trips date back to 1983, but I haven't been to Coz for around 20 years and decided it was time to go back. This trip we are looking for an all-inclusive to try something different.

A quick look on the internet shows that the Hotel Cozumel, Fiesta Americana and Scuba Club Cozumel will be in our price range for a 7-day, 5-dive day trip. Any helpful hints about any of these properties would be appreciated!

One other thing, I'm planning on bringing my own reg and computer, but was hoping to rent a bc to cut down on baggage on the plane. Is this a good plan?

Thanks!

Jerry

All three of those are good choices. As far as prices, I think you can do best with an air & hotel packages to Hotel Coz, especially if you use one of the common discount bonuses - then book your diving with whomever you want.

I like using my own gear, but you can probly be okay on a rented BC. Would you really save after fees tho?

Not to dissuade you, but seriously read the food threads around this board. While convenient at an AI, you will miss alot of GOOD food opportunities. Great food, great people, great fun. Don, is the BA the lets you go light and go out to dinner? Just something to think about....

If you are going to do 5 dives a day, I highly reccomend staying at a resort that caters to divers like Scuba Club, Blue Angel etc.

Thanks for the info.
Brules: that's five days of diving, not five dives a day!

DandyDon: you have a point about the cost of rental versus the excess baggage payment, I'll have to check into that. Perhaps I could get one of those "tropical only" bcs that weigh just 6 lbs. (heck always need a reason to buy new gear :)

Not to dissuade you, but seriously read the food threads around this board. While convenient at an AI, you will miss alot of GOOD food opportunities. Great food, great people, great fun. Don, is the BA the lets you go light and go out to dinner? Just something to think about....
What was that question before google translate? :confused:

Scuba Club has a lite package that does not include dinners, but I don't know that you save much? My previous trips to Blue Angel since the changes included a light breakfast and free lunch on dive days, but pricier than many others - while considered worth the extra to plenty of BA fans. My last trip to the Villablanca included a light breakfast and there were plenty of cafes close for lunch or even dinners, but there is an appeal to booking an All Inclusive and only worrying about tips to carry.

Suprane and his wife invited me to meet them at the Hotel Coz next time, book the discounted AI like they do, then skip the buffet dinners and go into town for dinners but I can see me not wanting to bother leaving the property some evenings. I am not as big of a fan of Coz dinning adventures as many here, but then when we do want to do in - the Hotel Coz is so much closer to town.

I think that they all cater to divers fine enough.

As far as buying a lightweight BC to save luggage fees, again false economy I think - and I just like my BC anyway. Just plan to spend $30 each way on the second bag, take what you want, and have a fun trip.

If you have dates, I'll look for specials I can find...?

Last edited:
I highly recommend Hotel Cozumel. We've stayed there 4 times, and were always happy with everything there.

As far as the missing out on other dining experiences, we usually eat breakfast and maybe a snack there. We then walk downtown to sample the "local flavor" for supper. For us the AI at Hotel Cozumel is reasonable enough that we skip a few of the included meals, and go out to eat. The great thing is, however, that if you are tired or just want to stay in you can.

I'm sure the others you mentioned are great places too, just never stayed at them.

Have fun, wherever you decide on.

Sean

Haven't stayed at the others, but I love SSC. Food was very good. Breakfast was a buffet other meals were order off the menu or pick one of two daily specials. It is very secure inside a walled compound.

Dive operation was very good and the shore diving was always interesting. The rooms were large and comfortable.

We are fairly new divers and still sampling locations; Cozumel, Bahamas, Fla Keys, Roatan so far and we leave for Bonaire tomorrow. So far SSC is our favorite resort.

Hi guys!

A buddy and I are beginning our planning for a dive trip to Cozumel for next summer. In the past I've stayed at the Barracuda, Casa del Mar, the Presidente and another place north of town which I can't remember the name of. These trips date back to 1983, but I haven't been to Coz for around 20 years and decided it was time to go back. This trip we are looking for an all-inclusive to try something different.

A quick look on the internet shows that the Hotel Cozumel, Fiesta Americana and Scuba Club Cozumel will be in our price range for a 7-day, 5-dive day trip. Any helpful hints about any of these properties would be appreciated!

One other thing, I'm planning on bringing my own reg and computer, but was hoping to rent a bc to cut down on baggage on the plane. Is this a good plan?

Thanks!

I have a few diving friends here in California who just love SCC and go every year, (5 dives a day)
It is a very nice operation for sure.
Hotel COZ would be a good choice as Don has said you could get air/hotel package at a good price and book diving with whom you like.
Like SCC it is close to the market and fairly easy walk to town.
I believe Hotel COZ offer a choice of AI or not.

Never stayed at Fiesta, but we always picked up people on their pier in the morning.
It is a bit far from town, you would pay alot in cab fares to go back and forth. It is a big place and from what people have said the food is average.
BA offers breakfast, you can order from menu and also lunch on dive days, dinner is on your own (not included in package), but offered.
Selection is limited, but the food is quite good.

Wow, it's been 20 years for you since your last trip. I hope you'll post back when the time comes and weigh in with your before-and-after impressions, both topside and below. That's about how long we've been going, and it's definitely changed a bit. There are way more places to eat, for sure.

I'll just add in, if Blue Angel is in any way a consideration (since it's not really all-inclusive), that I wouldn't characterize the free dive-day breakfasts as necessarily light. If you like a bigger breakfast, they've got it--anything from omelets to chilaquiles to batter treats. Or you can have fruit or yogurt or a protein shake if you want to eat light. It's a pretty decent breakfast menu you get to order off of. Same for lunch. They usually throw in one dinner if you're there a full week or more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom