Which all-inclusive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That might work.... if you were drinking rubbing alcohol.
It's your gut... but I don't think I'll be recommending it to patients in the ER any time soon...
Hey, even playing doctor as a little kid I always broke the rules. Why stop now?

Just a side note on MX Docs, MY B-in-Law, broke an eardrum last trip. I got a name from our Op for a good ENT. Called to see if he was in. Walked in and waited like 30 seconds for him to come get us. We stood around while he looked in his ear, diagnosed it and gave him a script of antibiotics. Filled them there at the little drug counter since it was convenient. Out of the place in less than 30 minutes and around 90-100 buck. Really a good deal we thought. I wouldn't hesitate to get a referral if my insides were trying to come out.
I didn't mean any disrespect to Mexican MDs. If they had come to my bedside, no prob. As it was though, getting out of bed nearly killed me, getting myself all the way to a doc would have made me ever more miserable. I prefer to die in privacy. (I did reach a point, you can ask J if you don't believe, where if it got any worse I would have gone to a doc. Fortunately my need to dive overcame any physical limitations and I transcended my illness. Could it have been a miracle?)

Well, from my drinking days I can tell ya that if you'd drink a pint of water at bedtime after indulgence, you might have to get up during the night but no morning headache. Dehydration again. I think that all Coz tap water is now RO as it comes from the plant, and "filtered" is a vague term that depends on the filter and maintenance, but it's probly safe usually. Depends. I spent most of my long life drinking untreated farm well water here but I knew the well and pipes personally. Now I'm in town, chemically treated tap water, and I don't know how much reservoir water they mix with the city well supply, but bottled RO water is 50c/gallon and my car backs up to my kitchen door - so I use that and recycle the jugs. If I could get an analysis of the the town water I might not bother but in this town, not readily available and I've never insisted. Since bottled RO is free at hotels I've used there, I stick with it.

The Legionairre's problem is limited to the Wyndham, and is so dumb as it could be fixed with a simple water treatment system at the hotel, we are talking Mexico engineering so who knows? Since the island tap water is untreated, it could happen anywhere but fortunately hasn't to available knowledge.

Ugg, we have a combined Dad's Day/going away party for our exchange student this evening at 5pm when the Lubbock temp will be coming down from 106F. Expecting 30 at the cookout. I wish I could come up with a big fan and mist system. I see that's already 87 in Lubbock now, 72 in Coz. Enjoy what's left of your trip.
Yeah, I know all about water and hangovers being an ex-pro-am drinker (I can drink most Marines under the table for breakfast). Problem is, the body can only take too much fluid and when it comes down to filling the belly with booze or water, booze wins out for me.

Hmm, can't trust a Mexican engineer with a water system, but I was supposed to trust a Mexican doc with my own digestive system? Doesn't seem right...

You do know that a hangover is largely due to dehydration, and that diving dehydrated puts you at higher risk of DHS, right? Hope it went OK.
Never heard of that one, Gordon :)

Higher risk, perhaps, but is the risk quantifiable? Is it canceled out by diving nitrox, doing slower ascents, longer safety stops, or eating a big breakfast? Who knows, the mind boggles with all the complexity surrounding DCS risks and all that complexity tends to confound my slow narc-addled brain so I take the easy way out: cross my fingers and hope for the best. I'm actually more worried about flying home on Tuesday after barely 24 hours out of the water since we have three flight legs in a day and DAN studies have shown that's more dangerous than two or one leg, all that taking off and landing tends to mess up the offgassing process (not to mention we're flying in first, with all those damn free drinks). Hopefully diving nitrox on both dives tomorrow will negate that issue; otherwise, we have a lovely chamber in SoCal and an old friend is one of the chamber ops - I've been meaning to pay him a visit someday.

As for OK, see my thread of today. Devil's Throat is an awesome cure for a hangover!

Last edited:
Never heard of that one, Gordon :)

Higher risk, perhaps, but is the risk quantifiable? Is it canceled out by diving nitrox, doing slower ascents, longer safety stops, or eating a big breakfast? Who knows, the mind boggles with all the complexity surrounding DCS risks and all that complexity tends to confound my slow narc-addled brain so I take the easy way out: cross my fingers and hope for the best. I'm actually more worried about flying home on Tuesday after barely 24 hours out of the water since we have three flight legs in a day and DAN studies have shown that's more dangerous than two or one leg, all that taking off and landing tends to mess up the offgassing process (not to mention we're flying in first, with all those damn free drinks). Hopefully diving nitrox on both dives tomorrow will negate that issue; otherwise, we have a lovely chamber in SoCal and an old friend is one of the chamber ops - I've been meaning to pay him a visit someday.

As for OK, see my thread of today. Devil's Throat is an awesome cure for a hangover!
Hey, I don't know you, nor am I your nanny. Diving is all about risk management and we all find our own way through it. If you know the risks and want to dive hung over, then it's your own business.

About 20 years ago when I was on Cozumel, I went on a fishing trip where we started drinking when the boat pulled away from the dock. I caught a magnificent white marlin that I don't remember (but I've seen the pictures), and the next day I was miserable. I decided then and there that vacation time is much too valuable to waste on feeling bad, especially when it is self inflicted, and the fun of being drunk is not worth the time in the penalty box. I can get drunk at home.

So, anyway, although I do enjoy a few beers during the day and maybe a glass or two of wine with dinner, I am happy to say that my trips to Cozumel are now hangoverless and I don't miss the inebriation. Moderation is, for me at least, the key.

To each his own, DSFDF, and YMMV.

Reactions: Foo
Hey, I don't know you, nor am I your nanny. Diving is all about risk management and we all find our own way through it. If you know the risks and want to dive hung over, then it's your own business.

About 20 years ago when I was on Cozumel, I went on a fishing trip where we started drinking when the boat pulled away from the dock. I caught a magnificent white marlin that I don't remember (but I've seen the pictures), and the next day I was miserable. I decided then and there that vacation time is much too valuable to waste on feeling bad, especially when it is self inflicted, and the fun of being drunk is not worth the time in the penalty box. I can get drunk at home.

So, anyway, although I do enjoy a few beers during the day and maybe a glass or two of wine with dinner, I am happy to say that my trips to Cozumel are now hangoverless and I don't miss the inebriation. Moderation is, for me at least, the key.

Gordo, the more important question: Can you catch a giant white marlin sober? :)

Gordo, the more important question: Can you catch a giant white marlin sober? :)
I'd have to be absolutely blotto to harrass and/or kill such a beauty, though I do admit I like to eat grouper and I harrassed a little stingray today by chasing him around a bit. As Gordon says, YMMV.

I can drink at home and I can dive at home. It's not the same in either case. Nor do I like to get "inebriated" on vacation, just seriously buzzed at most. Too bad there's such a fine line between inebriated and seriously buzzed :)

No, you don't know me, Gordon (though I swear you sent me a linkedin request a couple years back not to mention all those years of rec.scuba that we probably both want to disavow, but I'm sure you'd love me if we met in person since everyone does - well, maybe 80-90% of everyone). I've seen over 50 dead shows!

BTW, met a lovely couple from Austin on the boat today. Someday I'll make it out there for a visit and I'll give you a head's up in case you want me to buy you a few beers.

I'd have to be absolutely blotto to harrass and/or kill such a beauty, though I do admit I like to eat grouper and I harrassed a little stingray today by chasing him around a bit. As Gordon says, YMMV.

I can drink at home and I can dive at home. It's not the same in either case. Nor do I like to get "inebriated" on vacation, just seriously buzzed at most. Too bad there's such a fine line between inebriated and seriously buzzed :)

No, you don't know me, Gordon (though I swear you sent me a linkedin request a couple years back not to mention all those years of rec.scuba that we probably both want to disavow, but I'm sure you'd love me if we met in person since everyone does - well, maybe 80-90% of everyone). I've seen over 50 dead shows!

BTW, met a lovely couple from Austin on the boat today. Someday I'll make it out there for a visit and I'll give you a head's up in case you want me to buy you a few beers.

I don't remember sending you a LinkedIn invite, but I will. PM me a link to your profile. What was that megaflamer guy's handle on rec.scuba... Reef Fish? Um... you aren't him are you? :cool2:

I could dive at home - in Lake Travis. I haven't been in it since I was cert'ed there 17 years ago, though. Cozumel ruined me for lake diving.

You've got a few Dead shows on me. I only made 12 or so. I still listen to live recordings, though. Not so much the studio disks.

I don't remember sending you a LinkedIn invite, but I will. PM me a link to your profile. What was that megaflamer guy's handle on rec.scuba... Reef Fish? Um... you aren't him are you? :cool2:

I could dive at home - in Lake Travis. I haven't been in it since I was cert'ed there 17 years ago, though. Cozumel ruined me for lake diving.

You've got a few Dead shows on me. I only made 12 or so. I still listen to live recordings, though. Not so much the studio disks.
I could swear I got an invite from you a ways back, but I'm not on Linkedin, so I didn't respond. Won't this time either since I'm still not on it. (Facebook is a different story now, I'll look for you there.)

Reef Fish aka Bob Ling is definitely not me. I know for sure, since I dove with him during the Carnival after Wilma. Haven't heard from him in years, though there are still DMs around that remember him - he had over a thousand dives here and was notorious for doing his 200' bounce dive, on every dive, notwithstanding that he was getting on in years and, at least when I met him, was pretty hard of hearing. We still had fun, though. I always have fun.

I'm sure Cozumel ruined you for lake diving, but what ocean diving wouldn't? Check out the kelp forests off SoCal someday, you'd be happily surprised at the difference. Unfortunately it's a bit chilly and I've become a WWW in my old(er) age. However, being poorer now and for the near future thanks to our lovely economic meltdown, I might soon convince myself that the cold ain't so bad.

An old friend got me a tic for the New Year's show in SF last year and it was a great retrospect albeit with only half the old band; he had a friend who was an old roadie for the Dead and we got to break a few rules, ahem. Otherwise, I had the fortune of being a Californian during high school and college and the road trip up north was a regular event for New Years in Oakland, plus annual shows in Irvine and Long Beach and some scattered ones like Vegas (with Dylan), Calaveras County (with Santana), Eugene, Ventura, Shoreline (Mountain View, CA), Monterey, and probably one or two more that I've forgotten for some reason :)

After surviving so much Deadhead-style partying in my past, it's hard to let a little hangover get in the way of something so easy like diving!

Dandy-

You need to update your research.:no:

The resort has taken great efforts to correct/resolve this issue. The CDC removed its Legionnaires travel advisory to the Wyndham/Sabor/Regency Club.

Jeff.

How funny. :laughing: Let me get that for you since you missed it. First tho, I really don't mean to criticize your choice of resorts; why should I care? I'm not one to push favs and I don't really have one. I did not like the Reef club when I was there, but maybe it's lots better and many do like it, so cool. It's just that if anyone is going there, I feel someone should mention the problem and our discussion evolved to where it may sound like I am trying to make a point or something? Not really; if you'd done your own searching based on my heads-up and read the info, we wouldn't be having these posts. But here....

Excerpting from http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/366352-legionnaires-disease.html

Excerpting from Yucatan Living - Legionnaire

And the US State Department https://www.osac.gov/Pages/ContentReportDetails.aspx?cid=10279 - same texts really.

Now, if by "first link" you meant the previous one, no it did not mention Coz. It was an heads-up that you might want to search for info about that. If that's what you meant, sorry about the confusion.

Enough on this subject for me TY. Covered, done, finished. :crafty:

Dandy-

You need to update your research.:no:

The resort has taken great efforts to correct/resolve this issue. The CDC removed its Legionnaires travel advisory to the Wyndham/Sabor/Regency Club.

Jeff.

Legionnaires It looks like the last update was June 9th and the info has been removed. So like a week before DD posted it. "Oh they had their Legionaire's warning lifted more that a week ago" would not make me say "HEY I want to go there." I think the info is still useful in making a resort choice. Both from the problems they had and the lifting of the warning.

Back
Top Bottom