Which all-inclusive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:eek: What do you mean that you are unable to see a doc? Do you mean you wouldn't be covered under your medical plan and don't want to pay? Sounds horrible, and you should go even if it costs money - duh.
First of all, I'm not at the Sabor, but at the Cozumel Palace. Don't want to point fingers where they're not warranted.

Second, I think I meant "not about to see" instead of "not able to see" and my sickly fingers got ahead of me. Yes, I'm perfectly able to see a doc, I just don't want to :) I have redundant trip insurance (DAN + something else), but I'm not about to taxi over to an unknown doc unless I'm dying and I didn't think I was dying, yet. Turns out I was right, since I'm still alive. Still a bit curious as to exactly what "bug" bit me this time, but "out of sight, out of mind". Was able to eat the entire contents of our filet & lobster "romantic dinner for 2" at the Palace and my stomach at this point, even after champagne and red wine, doesn't even need a Tums. Whatever it was kicked my butt down to the ground for about 36 hours or so, but I barely have any remaining issues now and will definitely be diving tomorrow morning.

Can't say I think much of the idea of a person who has been vomiting drinking liquor though. Not really a good idea...
No one ever accused me of having good ideas all the time. To me, it makes sense that if you drink enough alcohol, you'll kill all the bugs that can hurt you, but that's just my misguided opinion.

(Of course it usually works for me, which is why I'll do it again, and again, and again :)

No one ever accused me of having good ideas all the time. To me, it makes sense that if you drink enough alcohol, you'll kill all the bugs that can hurt you, but that's just my misguided opinion.

(Of course it usually works for me, which is why I'll do it again, and again, and again :)
Millions of alcoholics would agree. No, when you throw up, you lose liquids and electrolytes. Dehydration is the risk to treat and unless your drinks are very watered down, alcohol is a bad choice. If you're big and healthy tho, you can be okay and sounds like you are the latter anyway.

As far as not going to a doc unless it got worse, I'm the worst at that. I'll lay in bed thinking that until I am too weak to go, and I just can't bring myself to call for help. Like you, I have survived my stubbornness so far.

If you feel a relapse coming on, go - ok?

That might work.... if you were drinking rubbing alcohol.
It's your gut... but I don't think I'll be recommending it to patients in the ER any time soon...

It's been discussed here. Here are a few links, but click & read this time please. Now I could be mistake about what names the Sabor has gone by in recent years. Kayak.com lists is as Sabor Wyndham Cozumel..

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/366352-legionnaires-disease.html

Yucatan Living - Legionnaire

https://www.osac.gov/Pages/ContentReportDetails.aspx?cid=10279

I did click on the first link, I just didn't see anything in it that had anything to do with Cozumel. That's why I asked. I admit I didn't spend a lot of time on the original link since, after 30 years in emergency medicine, I like to think I am reasonably familiar with Legionaires. :)

As for the resort... I was in Cancun on Cinco de Mayo during the Swine Flu panic. I was hoping to find someone who looked sick, so I could call home and with the sad news that I was being force to quarantine us for a couple weeks... I couldn't find anybody who looked sick. There's this pheomenom called a media frenzy...
9 cases in 3 years? It's nice of you to be so concerned, but that's not really going to worry me.

I did click on the first link, I just didn't see anything in it that had anything to do with Cozumel. That's why I asked. I admit I didn't spend a lot of time on the original link since, after 30 years in emergency medicine, I like to think I am reasonably familiar with Legionaires. :)
How funny. :laughing: Let me get that for you since you missed it. First tho, I really don't mean to criticize your choice of resorts; why should I care? I'm not one to push favs and I don't really have one. I did not like the Reef club when I was there, but maybe it's lots better and many do like it, so cool. It's just that if anyone is going there, I feel someone should mention the problem and our discussion evolved to where it may sound like I am trying to make a point or something? Not really; if you'd done your own searching based on my heads-up and read the info, we wouldn't be having these posts. But here....

Excerpting from http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/366352-legionnaires-disease.html
An outbreak of Legionnaires’ disease is ongoing at the Regency Club Vacation Resort and Wyndham Cozumel Resort & Spa (formerly Reef Club Cozumel) on the island of Cozumel, Mexico. Since May 2008, there have been a total of nine confirmed cases of Legionnaires’ disease among tourists from the United States and the Netherlands who have stayed at this resort. Based on findings from a public health investigation in April 2010, disinfection of the resort’s shared potable water system was recommended. Although measures were taken at the resort to disinfect the water system, in December 2010, CDC was notified of the ninth case associated with the resort, suggesting that there is an ongoing source of exposure.

Excerpting from Yucatan Living - Legionnaire
The Centers for Disease Control today issued a news brief regarding an outbreak of Legionnaire’s Disease at the Regency Club Vacation Resort and Wyndham Cozumel Resort & Spa (formerly Reef Club Cozumel).

And the US State Department https://www.osac.gov/Pages/ContentReportDetails.aspx?cid=10279 - same texts really.

Now, if by "first link" you meant the previous one, no it did not mention Coz. It was an heads-up that you might want to search for info about that. If that's what you meant, sorry about the confusion.

Enough on this subject for me TY. Covered, done, finished. :crafty:

Millions of alcoholics would agree. No, when you throw up, you lose liquids and electrolytes. Dehydration is the risk to treat and unless your drinks are very watered down, alcohol is a bad choice. If you're big and healthy tho, you can be okay and sounds like you are the latter anyway.

As far as not going to a doc unless it got worse, I'm the worst at that. I'll lay in bed thinking that until I am too weak to go, and I just can't bring myself to call for help. Like you, I have survived my stubbornness so far.

If you feel a relapse coming on, go - ok?
So far, so good. I'm pretty certain this morning's headache and slight queasiness is solely due to last night's drinking. As soon as I get some eggs and coffee in me, I'll be ready to dive.

But the Legionairre's stuff scares me. The Palace claims to have reverse-osmosis filtered tap water, so naturally I've indulged (though mainly stick to bottled water). The filtration sounds great, but one does have to wonder how often these systems (and all the pipes leading from it) are cleaned.

Just a side note on MX Docs, MY B-in-Law, broke an eardrum last trip. I got a name from our Op for a good ENT. Called to see if he was in. Walked in and waited like 30 seconds for him to come get us. We stood around while he looked in his ear, diagnosed it and gave him a script of antibiotics. Filled them there at the little drug counter since it was convenient. Out of the place in less than 30 minutes and around 90-100 buck. Really a good deal we thought. I wouldn't hesitate to get a referral if my insides were trying to come out.

So far, so good. I'm pretty certain this morning's headache and slight queasiness is solely due to last night's drinking. As soon as I get some eggs and coffee in me, I'll be ready to dive.

But the Legionairre's stuff scares me. The Palace claims to have reverse-osmosis filtered tap water, so naturally I've indulged (though mainly stick to bottled water). The filtration sounds great, but one does have to wonder how often these systems (and all the pipes leading from it) are cleaned.
Well, from my drinking days I can tell ya that if you'd drink a pint of water at bedtime after indulgence, you might have to get up during the night but no morning headache. Dehydration again. I think that all Coz tap water is now RO as it comes from the plant, and "filtered" is a vague term that depends on the filter and maintenance, but it's probly safe usually. Depends. I spent most of my long life drinking untreated farm well water here but I knew the well and pipes personally. Now I'm in town, chemically treated tap water, and I don't know how much reservoir water they mix with the city well supply, but bottled RO water is 50c/gallon and my car backs up to my kitchen door - so I use that and recycle the jugs. If I could get an analysis of the the town water I might not bother but in this town, not readily available and I've never insisted. Since bottled RO is free at hotels I've used there, I stick with it.

The Legionairre's problem is limited to the Wyndham, and is so dumb as it could be fixed with a simple water treatment system at the hotel, we are talking Mexico engineering so who knows? Since the island tap water is untreated, it could happen anywhere but fortunately hasn't to available knowledge.

Ugg, we have a combined Dad's Day/going away party for our exchange student this evening at 5pm when the Lubbock temp will be coming down from 106F. Expecting 30 at the cookout. I wish I could come up with a big fan and mist system. I see that's already 87 in Lubbock now, 72 in Coz. Enjoy what's left of your trip.

You do know that a hangover is largely due to dehydration, and that diving dehydrated puts you at higher risk of DHS, right? Hope it went OK.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom