When diving with an AI computer do you also use a Redundant/backup analog pressure gauge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AI + spg? Personal choice isn't it?
I dive with two non AI dc and a spg. My choice.
No right or wrong.
Me too! (OW non-deco scuba)

James

In 30+ years I've had two hp leaks while diving, and they were minor bubble leaks that did nothing to the dive, and I repaired them after the dive...

This is recreational diving.

I love the "point of failure" mongers...

As good as the "streamlined" goal by eliminating a single hose...

YMMV

I would honestly love to ditch my SPG. One less hose sounds very, very inviting. I've been diving 4+ years now with AI and have had zero failures. I am very anal about changing the battery in my transmitter well before it is due. I just may get there ... but I'm not there yet. It's a mental thing I know since all of my diving is purely recreational, NDL diving. But regardless, I just can't get myself to do it yet.

Went AI a couple of months ago. Didn't need the port so left the SPG on.
With Divin'Papaw, it will be a transition over time.
My analog is clipped and trim, can see it at a glance. Makes a nice hand rest too.

What side does this run on, left side with your LP inflator hose or separate, or on the right side. Connected to a chest D ring? Do you have any pictures of what this looks like set up on your gear or in use? What was the motivation or the goals in setting up this way?
Runs on left, clipped to a D-ring just inside my Inflator/Dump valve. Sole driver for the setup was getting transmitter closer to Perdix AI. I would occasional get signal drop, depending upon which side I put my transmitter, so decided I wanted it closer. Since I am more concerned about boat crew grabbing my transmitter when they "steady me" at the rail prior to giant stride, I always had my transmitter on a 4-6" hose anyway. So adding a longer hose wasn't making things worse in my mind. And since there's no spool for that button gauge, I thought the redundancy was a nice touch. Never had to look at it, since I've never had a transmitter failure. But...ya know. Just in case.
Got no pictures. It's bad enough that I use it without advertising it. :wink:

Hi @rsingler

I have my transmitter in the right HP port, a Teric on the right wrist, and an Oceanic VT3 on the left wrist. I occasionally get a short drop on the VT3, don't think I've ever seen a drop on the Teric, except for the two times my antenna has gone out :( Teric owners, have you required repair or replacement service?

A high pressure QD?
:useless:

I absolutely use a redundant analog backup

Back
Top Bottom