When diving with an AI computer do you also use a Redundant/backup analog pressure gauge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been diving AI for 3-4years now and always keep my spg with me. My transmitter can bug out (it has twice, battery died) and i'll always have the opportunity to still dive.

I would honestly love to ditch my SPG. One less hose sounds very, very inviting. I've been diving 4+ years now with AI and have had zero failures.
I personally see no reason to carry an additional spg on a dive. If a gauge failed before I had my tx I would have ended the dive then as well. Chances just aren't high enough for me to worry about shortening a single dive.
I am very anal about changing the battery in my transmitter well before it is due.
On mine once it displays "low" you still have around 20 hours left.

A high pressure QD?
:useless:

Robert,

Just go ahead and go whole (non) Hog and add the HP QD! You know you want to :wink:! You are out of the closet now, no going back, only ahead, ha!

James

Not on my primary system......but I do have an analog SPG on my 19cf Pony system

5wzCCzr.jpg

I do not. Don't see the need. Just end the dive.

I do not carry an extra 2nd stage, LPI inflator, Fin, Mask, Mask strap, fin strap, or tank valve with me on a dive in case one of those happens to go bad. I would just end the dive.

I do keep a analog SPG on hand, along with other extra pieces & parts, to install so the next dive is not lost. Was just in Bonaire in July and my Perdix popped a button while getting ready for the 1st dive of the trip. I swapped in the analog and went with my back up computer for the trip. So, I am prepared for issues just not paranoid <---- MY choice of term.

This is all for Recreational type diving. Technical or Solo diving would have a different protocal.

It really is personal preference. And I would also suggest that it is somewhat dependent on the particular type of AI system. Some are more reliable than others. The PPS versions are generally very reliable. In many years of using the PPS transmitters, I've never encountered a failure during a dive. I change the batteries annually (though I know I could probably get at least 2-3 years out of a battery).

The PPS transmitter is relatively simple. It turns on when it senses pressure, and turns off when pressure drops below 50 psi or so. Some other transmitters will also shut down after a period of time where it's not sensing a change in pressure. That can be a convenience if you leave the tank valve on, or forget to purge. But it also adds complexity and perhaps an option to fail.

I don't carry a spare SPG on the dive, though I do have a couple with me on the boat. I've not needed to resort to using one.

Transmitters can fail. SPGs can fail. Discounting battery issues, electronics tend to fail during startup, so provided that the battery is in good shape, and you have connectivity on the surface, the chances of a failure during the dive with a PPS transmitter is highly unlikely. Personally, I've seen a failed transmitter and a failed SPG. I much preferred the failure mode of the transmitter. It just simply didn't power up. Failure occurred at my house just after I installed it on a regulator. The DC just didn't report any pressure, and a second DC reported "NO COMMS". Both of those are pretty clear. The SPG failure was less obvious. The needle didn't drop to zero, it just stuck at a pressure. I noticed it only because it stuck at full tank pressure. It might be less obvious if it stuck a bit later in the dive.

Back
Top Bottom