Using AI with surface supplied "hookah" systems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From shearwater's specifications for its transmitter:
Turn-on conditions
Pressure > 120 PSI (8 Bar)​
Battery > 2.75 V​
Turn-off conditions
Pressure < 50 PSI (4 Bar) for 2 minutes​

So it would seem that the Shearwater MH8A transmitter would be able to monitor and transmit the pressure in your breathing line, since it is likely to be in the vicinity of 140psi for your second stage regulator to work properly.
But the transmission range of the MH8A is limited; 3 ft/1m is the spec.

The Garmin Descent T1 transmitter claims 33 ft/10m maximum transmission range underwater, so that might work for you, but I cannot find any info on its turn-on and turn-off pressures. I'd be surprised if they were not acceptable.

You'll have to decode the Garmin T! transmitter's signals with a Garmin Descent dive computer, which is an expensive way to watch your pressure not changing in your supply line.

I don't see the point of this exercise, frankly. Surface -supplied diving has been around for a century, and no one seems upset by not knowing what the pressure is in the supply line. If that pressure supplied any additional info -- such as the Gas Time Remaining calculation, or your SAC -- that might be useful, but both of those depend on your supply pressure dropping as you use up air from a supply tank, whereas in your case your supply is at a constant pressure.

Thanks!
I already invested in a uwatec / scubapro galileo sol though.

I don't see the point of this exercise, frankly.
It's ok.

In a year, when I am finished, and am smarter about things, I may share your viewpoint. I'd hazard to say few of us have complete clarity at the beginning of a journey, and honestly, I could just buy a finished package and go along quietly like most, but...

Where's the innovation in that? (I am more of a journey than a destination sort of chap)

.....since it is likely to be in the vicinity of 140psi for your second stage regulator to work properly.
Depends... some hookah regs are designed to work on IP as low as 50 psi (eg. small compressor supply).

Depends... some hookah regs are designed to work on IP as low as 50 psi (eg. small compressor supply).

They he will have a problem with the AI solution he wants...but probably doesn't need. :p :p

Well from no course I did, much at all on anything either.

I have found from people that actually suffered that they either did know, maybe knew, or didn't know
why they received their hit and considering all the studies and studiers suggest they don't know either

Yes, mostly. I suppose I could have taken the YMCA Dive Computer course, but learning from people that actually have suffered seems to give me better results.

I would be fitter eat ok be as rested as possible and go hookah diving with bcd to hold the heaps and
heaps of lead you'll need and maybe a steel bail out bottle bigger for less lead then where will you be

Well from no course I did, much at all on anything either.

I have found from people that actually suffered that they either did know, maybe knew, or didn't know
why they received their hit and considering all the studies and studiers suggest they don't know either

I would be fitter eat ok be as rested as possible and go hookah diving with bcd to hold the heaps and
heaps of lead you'll need and maybe a steel bail out bottle bigger for less lead then where will you be
Huh? Have you seen my avatar????

All this thought and money could be spent on a bailout bottle, like every single professional surface supply system uses.

Yeah dude its certainly appropriate also bemusingly annoying

Huh? Have you seen my avatar????

Fortunately I have adjusting periphavision screens so no need for blinkers

Although I'm sure I've enjoyed Jon Heder for a few seconds, in somehting

All this thought and money could be spent on a bailout bottle, like every single professional surface supply system uses.
or... and hear me out

I could just stand up. (shrugs)

Not setting any depth records here on my theoretical system I am plotting out.

Would it surprise you to learn I have a Spare Air.... Twin? (yes, two tanks manifolded. They really made it)

Anyway, now I'll have to do it. And you guys will laugh, until it shows up on some high end german rigs, then there will be one org that creates a C-card for this specialty, then where will we be?

(Weirdest observation: for such a risk aware cohort, not wanting extra data, useless as it may be, sure seems... dichtomic.)

I already invested in a uwatec / scubapro galileo sol though.
From the Scubapro transmitter manual​
NOTE:​
• The transmitter has a range of approximately 1.5 m / 5 ft.​
• To maximize battery life, the transmitter turns itself off when the pressure drops to 14 bar / 200 psi.​
You may have wasted your money.​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom