When diving with an AI computer do you also use a Redundant/backup analog pressure gauge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A couple dives ago I was getting some sort of interference with my tank transmitter and couldn't maintain connection and effectively had no pressure data for the dive. These particular dives were shallow, around some docks (<10 feet) and about 35 feet from a sandy shore so I wasn't worried about the lack of pressure data and we finished our work. But it did get me to thinking about running a backup SPG. So I'd like to know, IF you dive with an AI computer (wireless or otherwise) do you also carry a redundant/backup pressure gauge and What is the logic behind your decision?

I use a Cressi Digital Console SPG in addition to my Perdix AI. It is really compact and easy to read. My dive buddies can see it clearly on dives. Also gives time ( range ) to 50 bar from any point on the dive. I guess I am just used to having an SPG with me so when I got the Perdix AI I did not stop using an SPG. IF for some reason my Perdix failed ( it never has ) I could continue on an NDL dive and complete the dive. The console is not a DC so it does not give you NDL time but just ascend to a shallower depth.

CRESSI  CONSOLE.jpg

I do at the moment in the console with my spare computer (Old Uwatec), but the console is pretty big and bulky and I'm looking at simplifying and reducing the size of things, particularly as I'm diving Nitrox now and the Uwatec doesn't support nitrox, so it tends to beep like crazy and go into SOS mode if I miss a deco stop I'd need with air.

I haven't even looked at the SPG or Uwatec, apart from when I do my Oxygen content measurement on the dock since I got the Ratio, but I'll do a bunch more dives to see if that trend continues and I may look at something like the Cressi, above, or a simple SPG/Compass console that is a lot more compact.

No SPG.

Some people feel safer to dive with a SPG but they feel they don’t need to pay DAN membership.
They believe what they want to believe.

I see this as a “rec vs. tec” issue. I’m very comfortable trusting my Perdix AI to do it all by itself. If it ever did fail underwater I’d just come up slow because that’s always an option with the diving I do. If I was under some physical or virtual ceiling and several hours away from the surface, I might take more interest in my gas reserves and might take more gear and more training to very reliably track them.

I used to use AI with my old Oceanic OC1 - I kept an spg hooked up because the AI failed about as often as it worked. Once I got a Teric AI I continued to dive with an spg. After many dives with a fully functional AI, I started leaving the spg on the boat. I don't miss it. I will say that if I was doing a "big" dive I would probably put the spg back on my rig (or any tech dive/rebreather dive)

My OC1 AI never worked reliably. We sent the transmitter back twice. I feel like people who are still wearing an spg with the AI have had this kind of experience.

Not in the water. I usually have one on the trip in case of a failure.

I do. It's saved a few dives when my transmitter has had connection issues due to interference (I dive in an area with rock formations that seem to interfere with signals of all sorts). It usually clears up when I'm in the water but I wouldn't get in the lake without knowing I can read my pressure.

Also had a recent incident on a liveaboard where I forgot to charge my computer but managed to dive tables with my SPG and my dive watch that has a depth gauge.

Always use an SPG when using AI, you never know and its easy redundancy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom