When diving with an AI computer do you also use a Redundant/backup analog pressure gauge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bring an SPG with me. It stays on the boat in my save a dive kit.

In most situations, bringing a redundant SPG on the dive is just not necessary. If it were, we’d see a lot more divers with two SPGs (at least more than zero). Seems like you found one of the situations where it was. Out of curiosity, which transmitter and what type of electronic gear?

No. Before AI, I didn't have 2 SPGs, and at present, I have just a transmitter. Not a lot of difference in my mind. I feel my transmitter is at least as reliable as an SPG, and I'm OK ending the dive in the unlikely event it did fail.​

I am think about adding A button spg to my first stage and if I have issue have my buddy keep an eye and be cautious or end the dive, it also will allow me to see when I start I’d the transmitter is accurate on tank level.

[a button gauge] will allow me to see when I start I’d the transmitter is accurate
Or see that your button gauge is inaccurate. :wink: Plus, the precision on such a gauge is not typically great.

Edit: my feeling is a transmitter's info would be quite off if there's any issue with the pressure sensor.

A couple dives ago I was getting some sort of interference with my tank transmitter and couldn't maintain connection and effectively had no pressure data for the dive.

These particular dives were shallow, around some docks (<10 feet) and about 35 feet from a sandy shore so I wasn't worried about the lack of pressure data and we finished our work. But it did get me to thinking about running a backup SPG.

So I'd like to know, IF you dive with an AI computer (wireless or otherwise) do you also carry a redundant/backup pressure gauge and What is the logic behind your decision?

Yes. Always. One HP hose with a small, high-quality SPG is no inconvenience (compared to the potential benefit). You did not mention placement of the AI transmitter. Is it on the same side as your computer/watch? That made a difference, for me.

Best

I bring an SPG with me. It stays on the boat in my save a dive kit.

In most situations, bringing a redundant SPG on the dive is just not necessary. If it were, we’d see a lot more divers with two SPGs (at least more than zero). Seems like you found one of the situations where it was. Out of curiosity, which transmitter and what type of electronic gear?
Transmitter was the notorious SUUNTO. the electronic gear was MF metal detecting coils.

Hi @rfwoodvt

I've been diving a hoseless AI computer since 2010, 1724 dives, with a SPG and computer backup. I have used the SPG on 13 dives, 0.75%, and have never ended a dive or interrupted a series of dives. I have used the computer backup on just 2 dives.

Some of the problems were my fault, some were not:
Computer battery dead 2 dives (also used backup computer)
Transmitter battery dead 2 dives
Transmitter failure 5 dives
Transmitter not installed on reg set used 2 dives
Transmitter not installed on loaner reg set after 1st stage failure 1 dive
Transmitter battery dead 1 dive

To each their own, it's a personal choice

Not all 1st stage has two HP ports.
Transmitter is quite expensive. Nothing is foolproof.
@scubadada cleanly shown the advantage of having a back up.
Of course it is personal choice.
BTW, I dive with spg only as my Apeks DS4 has only 1 HP port.

Back
Top Bottom